Noch etliche Handgriffe nötig (snagging)

Sometimes I’m amazed at how many little phrases there still are in German I don’t know the English equivalent to. One of them is ‘es sind noch etliche Handgriffe nötig’. Of course I could look up the phrase in a dictionary and I will do so soon. But for the time being I just keep thinking about it…

2 Likes

This is a shot in the dark -

You still have to go through the rigmarole of endless handshakes (handshaking).

Does that hit anywhere near the mark?

3 Likes

Hi Alan, many thanks for dealing with this German phrase I threw at you. I would say it means ‘there is still quite a lot left to do’. The thing is that I don’t know how to translate Handgriffe in this context. For example when you redocorate your house and there is still quite a lot of work to do you can use this phrase. It usually involves some form of manual work. Maybe ‘put the final touches on something’?

1 Like

Hi Torsten,

I’ve got the point. There is a word used by a builder, electrician, engineer and so on who has finished a job but needs to check that everything has been done satisfactorily and is looking for any faults or defects. This activity is called ‘snagging’. This could thus be -

We’ve still got to carry out snagging to make sure everything is fine.

2 Likes

Hi Alan, I think snagging is a very good term for this purpose, many thanks for your explanation :+1::grin:

1 Like