Next time vs. the next time

This question is similar to Tom’s sunset example. What is the difference between these sentences:

The next time you log on to your account, please use your new password.
Next time you log on to your account, please use your new password.

Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Crossing a bridge[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I’m going to fall back on my old friend specificity. Next time suggests any time in the future whereas the next time is specific.

Let me give an example:

Wife to husband:

Next time you go to town, would you get some more bread, please?

Magistrate to the accused in court:

I won’t fine you this time but simply give you a warning. The next time you do that, I’ll have to fine you.

A

Hi Alan, thanks a lot for your immediate response. I’ve just realized that I often can memorize certain pieces of grammar information better when I get an immediate response to a question that pops up.
Also, sometimes you need an answer within a very short period of time because you are composing an email or any other piece of correspondence.
T[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A couple reviewing a map[YSaerTTEW443543]

A lot of thanks, Alan :smiley:

I would just like to ask one more question about it!

Is the above sentence wrong without the present? For example,

I won’t fine you this time but simply give you a warning. [color=red]Next time you do that, I’ll have to fine you

Tom

In my opinion, there is only one next time, which is the next time. To me, next time and the next time mean the same thing. I don’t agree that next time suggests “any time in the future”.

The next time is obviously more complete and is more formal and, I think, ‘‘more correct’’.

However, as they mean the same, people will often take the shortcut and say next time.
So Tom, I don’t think your sentence is wrong.

Hi Tom,

The omission of the definite article from the sentence:

takes away from the force of both the significance of the warning and also the contrast with this time. The inclusion of the article highlights the noun time and makes it different from the adverbial expression next time. Compare also last time and the last time. When we went to that hotel last time, they were extending the building.

That really is the last time I shall ever stay there because the service is awful.

I hope that this explains why there is a difference between using and not using the article in these expressions.

A