names in family with articles?

which one description is correct? Or please write anew…
1.I know that grandmother Leontyna (viz. the daughter of Helena) had sister Agata (Glinka after husband and they lived in Repki) and brother Rajmund. I don’t know whether it was even more people of them. It was also a surname: Wojsz in our family.

I know that the grandmother Leontyna (viz. the daughter of Helena) had the sister Agata (Glinka after husband and they lived in Repki) and the brother Rajmund. I don’t know whether it was even more people of them. It was also a surname: Wojsz in our family.

3.I know a grandmother Leontyna (viz. the daughter of Helena) had a sister Agata (Glinka after husband and they lived in Repki) and a brother Rajmund. I don’t know whether it was even more people of them. It was also a surname: Wojsz in our family.

Thank You very much!

Maybe I’m not the kind of person you’d like to get an answer from but it seems to me that the rules behind putting articles before titles of any sort might have changed in the last century or so. For instance, it’s very rare nowadays to come across an article in front of phrases like King John or Emperor Jones. At the same time, the title of Eugene O’Neill’s play is “The Emperor Jones.” I also wonder what the case is, exactly.

The way in which you introduce “grandmother” depends on the preceding context. Let’s assume that it’s already known to the reader (or can easily be deduced) that a grandmother exists and is somehow relevant. Then you can say:

“I know that the grandmother, Leontyna (the daughter of Helena), had a sister Agata (married name Glinka) who lived in Repki, and a brother Rajmund.”

Note that "the grandmother, Leontyna, … " is not like “King John” or “Pope Benedict”. “grandmother” is not a title. Instead you are saying something about “the grandmother”, and also mentioning her name parenthetically (hence the commas).

If she is the grandmother of someone already mentioned, you might as well say “I know that his/her/<person’s name>'s grandmother…”

Note “had a sister/brother”.

The next sentence does not make sense, but I’m guessing from context you may mean “I don’t know if she had any more siblings”.

I don’t really know what you mean by “It was also a surname: Wojsz in our family”, or how this relates to what has gone before. What does “it” refer to?

hi! thanks for the replies and help.
Dozy, why there is ,a’’ in “had a sister/brother”?

many thanks again.

Ignoring certain special exceptions, singular countable nouns always need an article (or other determiner, such as “my”, “this”, “his”, etc.). Whether “sister” in “had a sister Agata” is truly a singular countable noun is somewhat debatable. If you consider it as such (for example, you consider the phrase as being short for “had a sister, whose name was Agata”), then the use of the article follows the normal rules. If you don’t, then it is a special case that you just have to learn.