My first steps in English

Hello Mujibur, Mauricio, nice to meet you Sara, Oksana and Urs,

Sara, thank you for information about your country.

It is very good that you are all here! Let me tell you about Russian hockey (bendy).

Me and my friends like doing sports . This winter we are playing Russian hockey. It is played with a stick and a hard ball. It differs from usual hockey the goals are bigger and the game consists of two periods. It is a very dynamic and fast game. This is outdoor game. Sometimes it is cold outside but we always feel warm, because we are constantly moving. I like this variant of hockey very much.

Take care,
Bator.

Hello Erdem,

it’s nice to receive your message. I’m very happy to talk to you too and I’m happy that you are learning new words in English and that you are a very dedicated student. I hope you continue to be as dedicated as you are and I hope we continue to talk to each other and exchange messages here in the forum. I’m very happy to talk to you. I hope we can talk more real soon, you know?
And how are you doing at school?
What did you do on your vacation time? Did you go somewhere special? Maybe you can tell me about it in your next message.
I’m very happy to talk to you.
See you later, bye bye, take care,
Mauricio.

Hello Irina,

nice to talk to you again. Thank you for telling me a little about your country.
I’m not very good at Geography, so it’s very nice to hear you talk about it. Maybe I’ll be able to learn some more.
The capital Ulan-Ude is very far from your hometown. Do you like it when you go there? Is it very different from your hometown?
Your English is very nice. Don’t stop studying it and improving. You’ll see it’ll be worth working for it.

Take care Irina,

talk to you more soon.

Mauricio.

Hello Marina,

I’m also very proud to be talking to such a nice young student from Russia here in the Forum.
It was nice to know that you had a good time on your vacation time. Now it’s time to go back to school and learn more. Classes here in Brazil start only in February, so I’m still on vacation.
Thank you for sending me a message. I hope we can talk much more in the future.

Take care,
Mauricio.

Hello Beligma,

I was very happy to know you like Mathmatics. Your teacher must be very nice and must teach you in a pleasant way.
What are you studying at the moment?

I hope we can exchange a lot of messages in the future.

Take care!!

See you,
Mauricio.

Hello Bator,

thank you for telling us about the sport you like to practice. Sport is very important in our life. It helps us in many aspects. It keeps us healthy, helps us to find new friends, lets us enjoy ourselves while playing it.
So you are going the right way practicing sport.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us here. I hope we can talk a lot more in the future.

Take care,
Mauricio.

Hello Beligma
It was nice to talk to you and I hope to hear from you again soon. As for mathematics: I was quite good in maths too - especially in geometry - maybe this was one of the reasons why I became an architect…

Hello Irina
Many thanks for your reply. I’m pleased to hear that you are back in school again and that the bad headache is over!

I heard that not every student in your school started to learn English at the age of eight, because it’s different in several parts of the country.

Unfortunately, that’s the same here in my country. In primary school, no one had any English some years ago - so we are still in the process of introducing this topic in the schools.

But we hope that they will soon get rid of these different beginnings. English is a very important language after all!

Cheers
Urs

Hello Erdem
Thanks for your reply about the age when you started to learn English.

Your hobby is chess, so may I ask you:

• do you know the names of the pieces in English?

→ Yes?
That’s great: so you can talk about the game!
→ No?
Then it would be great to get to know them.

I’m sure your teacher will help you to find out.

Do you sometimes search the internet in order to find out something you don’t know yet?
If so, I can give you the following link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess#Setup

It’s a description of the game. What the pieces are called and what rules you should follow.

My schoolfriend was very fond of chess and he was a member of a chess club. Is there a chess club where you live, that you could join?

Cheers
Urs

Hello Timur

Have you ever heard of a boxer called Muhammad Ali?
He was a famous boxer when I was a child.

I remember that I went to my primary school friend Martin on a fine Wednesday afternoon when I was about eleven years old.

He had a TV set at home which we didn’t.

So we could watch the box match between Cassious Clay jr. (who took on the name of Muhammad Ali later) and Joe Frazier.

• How many hours do you exercise per week?

Have a nice day!

Cheers Urs

Hello everyone!

A schoolgirl named Sidratul Muntaha Palama, 9, a class II student was crushed and killed under the wheels of a bus while she was going to school with her mother in the Dhaka’s Mirpur Wednesday morning.

Locals managed to catch the driver along with the bus soon after the accident and handed him over to police.

Protesting the death, agitated people blocked the accident spot, halting transport movement on the road for half an hour. The protesting mob removed the barricade when police rushed there and asked them to free the road.

Wishing you all the best,

Mujibur

the death of a child under a lorrys wheels

Hello Mujibur
On my schoolway I once came across an accident, and the child lying there died soon after.
A very sad thing to think back. I was only nine at the time!
Cheers Urs

Hello everyone
Please let me make two corections to my last post:

• The girl Mujibur told us about, died under the wheels of a bus, not a lorry.
  • On the day I came across the accident with a lorry driver, I went back to school with the two years older girl from the neighborhood after lunch, not after dinner, of course.
    Sorry, and I hope that my long story was not far too complicated to listen to - if so, please let me know. Then I will do it once more and write it down after my vaccation.
    We are expecting -20° in the ski resort where we will stay next week. That’s not cold at all, isn’t it?
    Compared with the -52° of your place anyway!
    I wish you all a good time!
    Cheers Urs

Hello Urs,

Of course, I know Mohammad Ali and Joe Frazier. They are extremely famous here in Russia. I have seen the film about these boxers.

I attend the Boxing Club almost every day except a Weekend. I am prepairing for the competition that will be held on the 17th of February.

I wish you great skiing holidays!

Take care,
Timur

Hello Mauricio, Sara, Urs, Mujibur and everyone,

Today we are back to school after huge frosts. It is getting a little bit warmer.

We have just had PE lesson. We developed our skills in basketball. Our teacher showed us how to throw, catch and lead the ball. As for me, it was pretty easy to do it. I like more playing basketball than just throwing and catching the ball.

Mujibur it is such a pity that so young girl died under the wheels of the bus in Dhaka.

Take care everyone,
Bator

Hello Bator,

Very nice to have your response here! Your English is developing very well, really! Wish you to enjoy basketball a lot and be a renowned basketball player!

It’s aweful for us to think of the extreme low temperature in your place. We’re passing the winter season now in Bangladesh having the lowest temperature around 15 degree Celcius. We never see frosts in our weather condition.

Bator, it’s really pity that such a young girl died under the wheels of the bus in Dhaka! Such incidents are part of life for us here in Bangladesh.

Take care!

Mujibur

Hello everyone,

It is me, Yandgima.

Excuse me that I kept silent for so a long time. There were a lot of drills in our volley-ball club. I would like to learn to play volley-ball well.

I would like to share my joy with you. Today I got the 1st prize in international competition on Russian Language ( among students of our school). And among students of our region I got the 6th place. My mother has not know about that yet. But I think she will be extremely happy. I am looking forward to taking part in next competition next year.

Take care everyone,
Yandgima.

Hello Mujibur,

It is very good that you answered my message personally. I am so proud of that. It is very nice that the lowest temperature in Bangladesh Is 15 degrees above zero. At our place 15 degrees point is an average temperature of September:)

It is getting warmer here more and more. And I think that on Monday we will be able to go to school at 9 am.

Soon we will have Byryat New Year. Its name is Sagaalgan. it is translated in English as White Month. It will be on the 22nd of February.

Best wishes,
Bator

Hello Christina, Ayusha, Irina, Bair, Yuri.

I’m very glad to be here talking to you for the first time.
So, let me introduce myself: my name is Mauricio and I’m from Brazil. Here in my country I work as a mathmatics teacher. But, just like you, I like to learn English very much.
And the proof it’s wonderful to learn English is the fact that I can comunicate with you whose language is so different from mine and who live in such a far away country.
If I had never learned English I would miss this wonderful opportunity to know such nice people as you are.
So If you happen to be curious about anything concerning my country and if I’m able to answer, please feel free to ask.
It’s very nice to have talked to you for the first time and I hope we have plenty of other opportunities to talk again.
Hope to see you soon,

Hello everyone,

My name is Arsalan. It means ‘Lion’ in Buryat language. I am nine. I am a newcomer here. I would like to speak English with you.

Best wishes,
Arsalan

Hi Arsalan,

Well done indeed. I know that needed a lot of hard work on your part and it was a delight to hear you speaking. Keep up the good work and we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes,

Alan