My first steps in English

Hi Ulya,

nice to meet you. I have a nephew, a niece and my mother whose birthdays are in may too. My mother’s birthday is also on the 26th of May, just like your best friend Zhenya’s.
I hope we can talk a lot and help eachother learn and develop our skills.

Take care,
Mauricio.

Hello Samboo,

what an interesting meaning your name has… Is it a russian name or perhaps it comes from another language.
I’m happy you have an opportunity to enjoy yourself palying with your friends outdoors.
Here in Brazil we never have such low temperatures.
It’s summer here now and it’s getting hotter and hotter.
Does it get very hot there in the summer? How high do temperatures go?

I’m also looking forward to talking with you again.

Best wishes,
Mauricio.

Hello Timur,

it’s nice to meet you and to know you are so very interested in sports. Keep that up.
Sports are very important to keep us healthy and it can also be a great career if you dedicate yourself to it. Also don’t miss the opportunity to develop your english skills wich are sure to help you very much in the future, besides being a great pleasure.

Talk to you more soon. Best wishes,
Mauricio.

Hello Erdem,
I’m happy to meet you. It’s nice to know that you’re learning to play chess and draughts.
It’s also nice to know that you took part in a tournament. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t get a prize. Like you said, there were many other things you got from participating. So there is always a prize even if you don’t win.

I’m happy to talk to you… hope we can talk more soon.

Best wishes,
Mauricio.

Hello guys, you are all great. Keep up the great work!

Hello for everyone, I am very happy to find this topic.
I think children, you just need a little more courage to participate on(in)
this topic or forum,
because some of you is already have better English than me.
So just learn and repeat and also write and talk and again learn and of course repeat, but not only the English.

Best wishes

ril

Hello everyone

I’m very impressed by all of you - that you take part in this thread and that you are not too shy to participate.

That’s the best thing you can do to improve your skills!

Please keep it up, and encourage other students to join in too!

When I was at school, I started to learn English at the age of fifteen.

But this has changed a few years ago in Switzerland.

So now, my elder son, Tobias (13), has started to learn English at the age of eleven, and my younger son Silvio (11) even at the age of eight!

My whife is a primary school teacher and she is teaching English for about four years now. Normally, she works part time, but right now, she does a full job and is teaching all days till the next vacation in February. This is because her teacher colleague took a break and has gone on a trip to Thailand.

May I ask you some questions:

• At what age have you started with the English language topic at your school?
  • Is it difficult for you to learn all the new words?
  • Do you forget them again after a while?
  • And, when you want to speak, do the words come easily to you?

When I started to record messages here a while ago, it was really hard work! Sometimes, I had to redo a recording several times till I was happy with the result and could push the send botton…

But I would like to tell you something, but, please, don’t tell anyone else, it’s a secret, especially not your teacher, promissed? O.k., let’s start:

When I was a student, I was a bit lazy, you see? Not always in a mood to learn my vocabulary and grammar! So my marks were not very good. But still, I loved to read English and it was not that I had anything against the language, really!

Boys are sometimes a bit lazier than girls, right? How about you, is that the same in your class?

But today, English has become a very important language, we know that all, don’t we?

Otherwise, we couldn’t talk to each other like this! So, the boys too should learn the words and the grammar and especially to speak English!

But what could I do to improve my poor English? I’m working now, of course, and I don’t go to school anymore. The only thing I could do was to study English on my own…

I began to read books in English again, on the train when I went to work in the morning, for example, or on the way back in the evening.

And, about three years ago, I was lucky, I found this homepage “English Test Net” on the Internet! And then and there, I decided to really do something about my English skills!

But I had to work hard, I can tell you! There was a lot I had forgotten in all theese years!

But now, I’m quite happy that I managed to make progress!

So I would like to encourage you all to be not too lazy, but to learn your lessons. Yuri will help you, I’m sure of that, so take your chance and make something out of it!

I’m looking forward to hearing from all of you!

You can ask me questions, if you like and I will try to answer them as soon as possible.

Maybe, you have to wait a bit and be patient for a while, when I’m too busy with work, till I can give you an answer. A few days or even a week. But I will try my best.

So, have I nice day, and bye bye!

Urs

Hi Oksana, Piroska and Urs,

I am so happy that you are here. The participants of this thread will be back to school on Monday and I am planning our first recording on Tuesday. You know, the first day at school after vacations demands some organizational issues. So, we are going to do our best to keep this thread alive and to encourage ourselves and other participants of the Forums to communicate. (Only, please, no Youtube on this very thread - it is forbidden by our school server) Your writing and talking to us will do.

We are looking forward to talking to you all,
Yuri and Yuri’s students

Hi Mauricio,

It is Erdem (10) again.

I am so happy that you have sent me your message from Brazil. I am back to school after my vacations. We have had our English lesson today. We were learning new words: long, short, round, small, big, lovely, eyes, ears, hair, etc. But I have already known them. So, it was easy to me to read and repeat them.

Take care,
Erdem

Hi Oksana, Ril, Urs and everyone,

Nice to meet you here on the Forum. It is so cool to talk to people from Ukraine, Switzerland and from Slovakia.

Urs, we start learning English here from the age of 8.
Now I have to rush - my mother waits for me.

See you later,
Erdem

Hello everyone,

The first-ever English spelling competition “Spelling Bee” was launched yesterday in Dhaka to help school students enhance their language skills.

The contest will kick off on February 1. Students of class VI to class X from both English and Bangla medium schools are eligible to take part in it.

Spelling Bee, where participants are asked to correctly spell English words, is an internationally acclaimed competition quite popular in the USA, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Indonesia, Pakistan and India. Spelling Bee first began in the US in 1925.

The main purpose of the contest is to help students improve their English spelling, increase their vocabulary, learn concepts, and develop correct English usage.

According to the organizers “Spelling Bee” is an educational programme where everyone of a family can join.

Thanks,

Mujibur

Hello Mauricio, Oksana, Ril, Urs and everyone,

It is Irina (14) again.

Mauricio, there are 21 national Republics in Russia and Buryat Republic is one of them. The capital of Buryat Republic is Ulan-Ude. I have been to Ulan-Ude many times though it is in 500 kilometers from Kyren. It takes eight hours to get to Ulan-Ude by bus.

I live not too far from my school. It takes me 10 minutes to get to school.

Urs, I have been learning English since I turned eight. It is hard work to remember words and Grammar rules. And it is very difficult to find words that I need when I am speaking English. But I always try to do my best.

Oksana, your English is wonderful. I would like to learn to speak English like you:)

Ril, I think that my English is not better than yours:)

Take care,
Irina

Hi Irina
Nice to meet you here and many thanks for your reply!

You told us about the capital Ulan-Ude, and that you have gone there many times.

May I ask you some questions:

• Do you have relatives in the city?
  • Or do you go there just to visit the city?
  • Who do you go with?
  • On the way to Ulan-Ude, do you remember something special, a lake or a landscape you like?
  • And in the city, is there a place or a building you like, which is your favourite?

As for remembering words:
I have experienced it many times for myself that English is a foreign language to us after all.

So, when we would like to say something in English, it often happens that we suddenly don’t know how to continue, because a word we wanted to say has fleed our mind, although we know for sure that we have learnt it and should know it…

The most important thing is not to worry about it, but to keep on trying.

You can’t force your brain to deliver a word, but what you can do is to try to start again and say the same sentence in a slightly different way.

When we learn new words and expressions, the first step is always that we understand them in a text. Every time we come across the word it reminds our mind that we know it, and that is a good thing, it reasures us, we are on the right way!

A bit more difficult is to keep words in your mind and, let’s say, use them in a letter, or say them, when your teacher asks you, or write them down to speak them into the microphone in this thread.

And the last step is to be able to use them in fluent speeking, which is always the most challenging thing!

So, this is it for today - many thanks again and bye bye
Urs

Hello everyone,

Nice to meet you all. My name is Yulya. I am eleven years old. I am learning English first year because at my school (in the neighbour district) there were no English classes till the Fifth Form.

I would like to talk to you all on this Forum. I hope you will help me to improve my skills.

Best wishes,
Yulya

Hello Mauricio,

Thank you four your message. I am so proud that the teacher of Maths from Brazil has talked to me.

We had vacations at our school. I was skating, reading books, watching TV and did other pleasant things. But I am glad to be back to school again.

Take care,
Marina

Hello Mujibur,

This is very interesting that you will have “Spelling Be” competition in Bangladesh. I have never heard about it. We have another competition on English language in Russia. Its name is “British Bulldog”.

I took part in “British Bulldog” last year but this year I have been to Ulan-Ude and missed this contest.

How are you doing?

Take care,
Bair

Hello everyone,

My name is Beligma and I am a newcomer on this Forum. I am ten.

Mujibur, I took part in British Buldog competition in December and I don’t know my score yet.

Urs, Ira is feeling unwell and she asks you to wait for her response till Tuesday.

Mauricio, I like Mathematics too.

Best wishes,
Beligma

Hello Beligma
Nice to meet you here, and wellcome to the forum!
What do they ask in that “British Bulldog Test”, do you rememeber a question?
Many thanks for letting me know about Irina.
Please tell her that I hope she feels better soon and that she can take her time to answer me, no problem.
Bye, bye
Urs

Hello everyone:)
It’s sarah from Egypt,am 23 years old.I’m glad to hear post from sweet students like you,and it’s wonderful idea to have you here;I really appreciate your attempts to learn and we should all help you :slight_smile:
Am egyptian and am going to tell you some information about Egypt.
Egypt is a country in North Africa. Egypt’s population is about 85 million .Egypt is one of the most populous countries in Africa and the Middle East. About half of Egypt’s residents live in urban areas, with most spread across populated centers of greater Cairo, Alexandria and other major cities in the Nile Delta. million people live near the banks of the Nile River, in an area of about 40,000 square kilometers.monuments in Egypt such as the Giza pyramid complex and its Great Sphinx were constructed by its ancient civilization.In early 2011, Egypt underwent a revolution, which resulted in the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak after nearly 30 years in power.

Dear Irina,

Really good job!I like your monolog very much. You know, sometimes I also lack a necessary word when I talk. It happens because we must learn to think in English.
My English is not flawless, thanks for the kind words though… I’m tryin’ hard to improve, just like you. :slight_smile:

See you around :wink: