Morning: If I get up at 7a.m. versus I get up in the morning

Hi,

1. If I get up at 7a.m., I can say: I get up in the morning.

But If I get up at 2 a.m., can I say:

I get up in the morning?

1. If it’s 17p.m., I can say: in the evening.

But, if it’s 21 p.m., can I say “in the morning”? (or I have to say “at night”?

1. In short,

Morning is from 6a.m. to 12 a.m.
Evening is from 12h1’ to18p.m.

Is it right?

Thanks
K

Ok

at night

yes

in the evening

Once I was told that morning lasts from 4 a.m to 10 a.m, day-from 11 a.m to 4 p.m, evening -from 5 p.m to 10 p.m

Hi,

I think some of your times are somewhat arbitrary. After all it very much depends on whether you are an early or late riser and likewise at what time you go to sleep. I think most people would say, if asked, at what time they get up and at what time they go to bed. That way the reference to morning/afternoon/evening/night is really not relevant.

Alan

Any time that is after midnight and before noon can be referred to as “morning”:

Somebody called me at two in the morning.” (2 a.m.)
Without specifically mentioning the time, the same person would probably say:
Somebody called me in the middle of the night.” (2 a.m.)
The very same person might also possibly say:
Somebody called me in the wee (small) hours of the morning.” :lol:

If I had to get up at 4 a.m. in order to catch a very early flight, I’d probably tell you that “I had to get up in the middle of the night.” (because at 4 a.m. it’s still dark and I normally get up quite a bit later than that)

An 11 a.m. meeting: “I have a meeting at 11 in the morning

I think it’s fairly safe to say that “afternoon” begins immediately after noon. (i.e., after 12:00 p.m.) :wink:

There isn’t a precisely defined time when afternoon ends and the evening begins. But most people I know claim that evening begins around 5 or 6 p.m. and ends an hour or so before you go to bed. Evening is quite subjective, though, and the times that people mention vary quite a bit. :wink:

Amy

Hi Amy,

So :

a. Yesterday, I went to bed at 21 p.m. in the evening.
b. Yesterday, I went to bed at 21 p.m. at night.

a and b have the same meaning?

K

Van,
I think you should say in the evening

1. 21 p.m. doesn’t exist.
    It is only correct to say 9 a.m. or 9 p.m. when using a.m. and p.m.

2. Stating a time with p.m. and then adding either in the evening or at night is completely redundant, would never be said by a native speaker and is just wrong, in my opinion.

3. I went to bed at 9” is all that people will usually say. The fact that they do not mean 9 a.m. is simply understood, so no additional information is necessary.

4. As I’ve already mentioned, the precise determination of when “evening” begins and ends is quite subjective. It depends very much on the person’s personal point of view.
    When a time is specifically stated as a.m. or p.m., nobody will ever add “in the morning”, “in the evening” or “at night”. Likewise, the time 21:00 is clearly not “morning” or even “afternoon”, so the question of “in the evening” or “at night” is completely irrelevant.

Maybe, Amy, Van didn’t imply the time indication with the usage in the evening and so on. I mean together :lol: Though I’m not sure

Ok,

When I’ll do sth at 9p.m.,if I say:

Ok.I’ll do it in the evening. (a)
Ok.I’ll do it at night. (b)

So,(a) and (b) have the same meaning?

In short, is there a case that "in the evening"and “at night” can be understood the same?Please give an example.

Thanks
K

Hi Pamela

I’m not willing to choose between two extremely incorrect sentences. That would amount to indirectly saying that one of them is correct. And in this case, both sentences have multiple problems.

Some people will tell you that 21:00/9 p.m. is categorized as “evening” while others may insist that it’s “night”. As I said in my first post, my second post and, now, in this post, it’s very subjective.

Amy

Hi Khahn

Examples:

I always do my homework in the evening.

I always do my homework at night.

In the two sentences above, it’s entirely possible that the person always does his/her homework at approximately 9 p.m.

In these sentences, I would consider “in the evening”/“at night” to be unnecessary, because in most cases p.m. would be understood:

I never start doing my homework before 9 (in the evening).

I never start doing my homework before 9 (at night).

Amy

:slight_smile:

Hi

Oh, yes… in English you never know it exactly…
only sometimes :slight_smile:

By the way, in my first language there is a quite formal rule:

00:00 - midnight
00:01 a.m. – 3 a.m – night time
3:01 a.m – 11:59 a.m. – morning time
12.00 - noon
12:01 a.m. – 5:59 p.m. – day time
6 p.m. – 11:59 p.m – evening time

Convenient and useful!
:slight_smile:

(But, certainly, such informal phrases as “early morning” and “late evening” need to further clarification - if you’re not very familiar with the speaker’s habits.
Some people are ‘larks’ by their nature, some are ‘owls’, you know. Regardless of languages they speak. :))

Tamara