More steeper?

Is this sentence correct? If not, please correct it.

“The more steeper the incline is, the more effort is needed.”

I think ‘more steeper’ is weird.

Hi Kisco,

It’s not only '‘weird’, it’s incorrect. ‘Steeper’ is already comparative and so doesn’t need ‘more’ as well. The steeper the incline is …

Alan

Hi,
We can say?
The much steeper …
Regards,
Morteza

For a comparative, I think inserting much, slightly, a bit…is OK but this is double comparative so we’d better use it for both clauses or nothing to make sure that the sentence is in proportion. Hope I’m not wrong.

You could say that one hill is much steeper than another, but as VW said, you should only use “much” if you are comparing things. Ex. “This is much better than that.”
You should simply say “The steeper the incline is…”

Thanks. I decided to use this one: The steeper the incline is, the more effort is needed.
But what about the opposite of it: The ________(steep) the incline is, the less effort is needed. Please help me one more time.

Hi there,
I think the opposite of “steep” is “gentle”:the gentle slope
The gentler the incline is, the less effort is needed.
Regards,
Morteza

With long adjectives and adverbs, you can use less before them to express the inferiority. For example, This book is less expensive than that one.

So… final answers:

The steeper the incline is, the more effort is needed.
The less steep the incline is, the less effort is needed.

Are they correct now?

No. Steep is a short adjective so you must use its antonym

To Vietanhpham Winter:
But the 2nd sentence is not the opposite of the 1st one.
In mathematics, the slope in the 1st sentence is about 70 degrees, so you need to use large effort when pushing things up on it.
The slope in the 2nd sentence is about 30 degrees, so you only need to use small effort when pushing things up.
(Sorry, I’m not talking about mathematics.)

Hi Kisco,

Not quite sure what’s going on here but I would offer ‘gradual’ in this context as the opposite of ‘steep’ as in: The more gradual the slope …

Any good?

Alan

Hi Dear Alan,
I agree with you.
You mean “gentle” is not a good choice?!
Morteza

Hi Morteza,

Yes, ‘gentle’ would be fine.

Alan