"more" position in comparison sentence

Hi all, I have a question relating to IELTS TASK 1 and hopefully will receive your help .
we know that if " more" is adverb, it will modify adverb or adi and combine " than" . In addition to, normally, it will be previous adverb and adi, for example from oxford dictionary . But in below case , I don’t understand why such " more" position is after " three times " while " three time" is adverb ( band 9 ielts essay ). It is so odd to me . I mean proper sentence should be
" Singaporeans have to pay MORE nearly three times or their cars THAN the Vietnamese "
. Do you agree with me ?

2 Likes

Please look at the following short dialogue:

*A: I have to pay as much as you, but my friend has to pay more than both of us. *

B: Really? How much more does he have to pay?

A: At least three times as much as we are currently paying.

B: Unbelievable! This means he is paying almost 4 times more than he used to pay under the previous government!

As you can see ‘more than’ is fixed, you can’t change the position of the two words.

2 Likes

so my sentence is incorrect ?
Singaporeans have to pay MORE nearly three times or their cars THAN the Vietnamese "

1 Like

Here is the correct version:
Singaporeans have to pay almost three times MORE for their cars than the Vietnamese.

3 Likes

But, Torsten, nearly is also acceptable here. I fail to see why we should change it into almost.

2 Likes

Just to show that there are always multiple ways to express an idea.

1 Like