Miss call or Missed call?

When people want the other person to call them back at the latter’s cost, they simply phone them up with just two or three rings and then deliberately end their call. This is usually referred to as a miss call. Some call it a missed call. Which is more natural and acceptable?

I don’t see that ‘miss call’ makes any sense at all.
If it’s used at all, it’s probably a result of someone mishearing ‘missed call’ as the relatively quiet phoneme created by the -ed in ‘missed’ runs into the next word and is often blurred.

The situation has been explained. Can anyone suggest a tongue-friendly word or phrase to refer to such a call? I mean something like ‘call-back-call’ which I just have in mind.

My friends just say ‘I’ll give you three rings.’ - Also, they don’t usually expect me to call them back when this happens. It’s just a signal to do something. For example, “I’ll give you three rings when I’m leaving home, then I’ll meeet you in town.”

Well, that’s a pre-arranged signal or indication for a specific purpose.

Let’s take it as ‘missed call’ for phonemic reason which is possible.

But this term is more common among those who use it (instead of providing a ‘Toll Free Number’) as a marketing technique while advertising their products on TV. They say: ‘You only need to make a missed call to this number - xxx’.

That would be ‘return call’ not ‘missed call’. You cannot make a missed call if it is answered.

Dear Madam/Sir

I am writing my suggestions about missed call. The missed call is nothing but the person to whom you phoned is not available at the time of your call or the person may be busy at some work or may be gone out by leaving the mobile / phone. Some times missed calls may be treated as wrong calls when the number dialed by them might be wrong at least in one digit. By considering that missed call number, if we phoned to them they would say wrong number.The advertising people wanted to know our phone number, for that they asked to give missed call.

I will never bother about missed calls unless the caller number is connected with my phone book callers names.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Beeesneees,
In UK or USA, ‘missed call’ may mean something else.
But in India, it is widely accepted the terminology - ‘missed call’.
Even in advertisement, they ask us to send a ‘missed call’ (that is) just give
three rings. When they receive our ‘missed call’, they call back to proceed
with their business.
Thanks.

Look at message #2 and you’ll see that I have no problem with the term ‘missed call’.

When someone gave you a couple of rings on phone and immediately and deliberately ended the call it is “a flash” - I think this what Anglo needs. To me missed calls are calls on phone that were not answered or received

‘A flash’ isn’t a standard English term either. I would misunderstand what someone meant if they said ‘give me a flash’… and it would not generate a good result.

It may result in ineffective communication for you - It seems it depends on the setting the word may come, I could see you are not conversant with the term - I am most unlikely to use missed call instead of flash.

Context is king. I have said that over and over. However, in this forum I believe we’re speaking about standard English.

Non-standard words with time become standard words - in fact, your use of missed call to indicate what you think is correct for the asker, seems weird to me though.

I didn’t use ‘missed call’ to indicate what is correct for the original question.

You’re confusing things, so, which did you say is correct? Please be specific.

I’m not the one confusing things. Please read message #2.

[color=red]Yes, I agree to that.

Sometimes, the receiver may be busy in some other work, to make them to attend the call (Missed cal) as and when they free. Business Adv. is also asking the clients to give missed calls to improve their bussiness.

Though the sentence does not convey the meaning easily, it needs some corrections as shown:
Sometimes, the receiver may be busy with some other work, to make them attend the call (Missed call) as and when they are free. The business advocate is also asking the clients to give missed calls to improve their business.

1 Like