Meaning of words 'overtaker' and 'takeover'

Test No. [color=blue]incompl/advan-10 “Finance (2)”, question 2

The larger company did not really want to join with the smaller one because it was more interested in a

(a) turn over
(b) turn up
(c) overtaker
(d) takeover

Test No. [color=blue]incompl/advan-10 “Finance (2)”, answer 2

The larger company did not really want to join with the smaller one because it was more interested in a
takeover.

Correct answer: (d) takeover

Hi, I couldn’t find meaning of words ‘overtaker’ and ‘takeover’. Tell me, please
Thinker

Hi Thinker,

It’s probably easier to look at the two verb forms: to take over and to overtake.

Take over means to take control of as in: The largest commercial company in the country has taken over the running/management of the national lottery.

Overtake means to go ahead of/in front of as in: The driver of the sports car overtook the lorry on the corner.

Hope this helps

Alan

Hi Alan, thank you very much.
Thinker

Hi Alan:

In this explanation you mentioned the word running which it is also mentioned in the English essay 10.

When I read the expression in the essay, I knew that take over was something about assuming control but I could not find the relationship between this verb and the word running.
Reading your example I assume that the running is a synonym of the management. Am I right?

Regards.

See point 2, Lobo:
oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio … ry/running

Hi Lobo,

You are absolutely right - the word ‘running’ in the context you mention means ‘management’ or ‘control’.

Alan

Hi,

I had looked up the word in other dictionaries, but the explanation that I found on them was no very clear. Now I can say that, with your help, I know the concept.

Thank you both again. I appreciate pretty much your help.

Regards.

Hello Lobo,

Out of interest, was the meaning more easily understood in the Learners’ dictionary or did you still have problems with it?
(Or did you not need to look as Alan provided an explanation?)

(As this dictionary is designed specifially for learners then I would hope that it is a lille easier to follow than a standard dictionary. I’d just like to know if that is the case or not.)

Hello Beeesneees,

I would like to let you know that the meaning in the Learners’ dictionary is easy to understand. So I have no more problem with the word.

As you say, this dictionary is easier to follow than the regular dictionaries.

I appreciate your help and concern.

By the way, what does the expression out of interest mean?

Regards.

Hi Lobo,

‘Out of interest’ means - I would be interested to know.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the information. Very interesting expression. I had no idea about the meaning. I was lost, but now I know a new expression, I can use.

I appreciate your interest in helping English learners.

Regards.