Meaning of 'tongue tied and twisted', 'the tots and the bigguns', 'hamfistedly'

1. Can someone explain to me what is the meaning of hamfistedly?
  2. What’s the meaning of the tots and the bigguns?
  3. Getting all tongue tied and twisted; what is this means?

I hope someone can explain all these 3 questions to me…it’s quite new to me thou.

Thank you in advance

Hi

I want to be fluent with the enlish pls help me

hamfisted - ham-hand⋅ed
–adjective clumsy, inept, or heavy-handed: a ham-handed approach to dealing with people that hurts a lot of feelings.
Also, especially British, ham-fist⋅ed .
dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hamfisted
tot–noun 1. a small child.
dictionary.reference.com/browse/tot
tongue-tied –adjective 1. unable to speak, as from shyness, embarrassment, or surprise.
tongue twister
–noun a word or sequence of words difficult to pronounce, esp. rapidly, because of alliteration or a slight variation of consonant sounds, as “She sells seashells by the seashore.”
dictionary.reference.com/browse/tongue%20twister

Getting all tongue tied and twisted - having difficulty to pronounce.

Hi Zellzacks,

Your quotation of what I wrote goes back some way. I was admittedly getting carried away about my pet hate of using this he/she device and in my reference to ‘tots and bigguns’ I was slipping into a sort of slangy type language. What I was referring to was the ‘small ones and the big ones’ or more correctly the children and the adults.

Alan

Hi…Zellzacks,

I would like to explain a little about your third question (or part of that) from the view of medical facts…

[color=blue]When most people hear the term “tongue-tied”, they picture someone nervous, stammering, and at a loss for words. Tongue-tie isn’t just a cartoon caricature or picturesque description of an embarrassing moment; it is a relatively common physical condition.

During fetal development, cords of tissue called frenula form in the front-center of the mouth, beginning as early as 4 weeks of gestation. The word “frenulum” comes from the Latin word for bridle. A bridle can be used to guide a horse. In roughly the same way, the frenula guide the development of the structures of the mouth. Early in development, the frenula are important, strong cords, which then recede over time. After birth, they are still useful in guiding the positions of the baby teeth as they come in.

The tiny cord between the center of the upper lip and the center of the upper gum is called the labial frenulum (or lip frenulum). If you slip your tongue up where your upper lip meets your upper gum, you can probably still feel a remnant of your labial frenulum.

Another cord between the base of the tongue and the floor of the mouth or the lower gum is called the lingual frenulum. If you lift your tongue up and look in a mirror, you probably can see the strand of tissue connecting the bottom of your tongue to the floor of your mouth – what is left of your lingual frenulum.

In some kids, the lingual frenulum is short and taut after birth, partially restricting movement of the tongue. This condition is called ankyloglossitis (don’t doctors have great names for things?) – more commonly known as tongue-tie.

Hope you have got a clear idea about tongue-tie…

Have a nice experience…

Thank You so much Alan, Milanya and Sahid for the explanations.

I want to learn tense. and it should be easy language.can anybody help me

Hi Olvira…

Let us know what is the difficulty in your ‘tenses’…to make an outline of the subject in order to help you out of this condition…

[color=blue]As you are aware…the English grammar (sentence structure) revolves around the ’ VERBS '…

Verbs are of three basic kinds…namely Present tense verb, Past tense verb and Participle verb…

Present tense verbs are used for making sentences in Simple Present Tense…and by adding ‘will’ or ‘shall’ in front of the present tense verbs, we can make the Future Tense sentences…

Past tense verbs are used for making sentences in Simple Past Tense.

But Participle verbs are having more usage and importance in English…to make all the complicated sentences in Continuous as well as Perfect tenses…

…if you like to know more about the PARTICIPLE VERBS pls let me know…

have a nice experience…