Meaning of 'To plumb the depths of hell and meet'

Hi

I understand the direct meaning of plumb (and some indirect ones that implied by it ).
But some specific phrases still confuse me (and , maybe, my dictionary isn’t perfect…)

Like:
plumb against me – OK, that’s more or less logical…

but:
perfectly plumb
plumb dullness :roll:
I plumb forgot

Can you help me ‘to join’ direct and indirect meanings of that plumb for such cases?

Does it just like square (used in its indirect meaning, as well)?

1 Like

I am not clear on what you are looking for, Tamara. The American Heritage Dictionary (for instance) includes all the definitions relevant to your listed examples:

[i]ADVERB: 1. In a vertical or perpendicular line. 2. Informal Directly; squarely: ‘fell plumb in the middle of the puddle’. 3. also Informal Utterly; completely: ‘plumb worn out’.

ADJECTIVE: 1. Exactly vertical. 2. also Informal Utter; absolute; sheer: ‘a plumb fool’

NOTE: A connection between concrete and metaphorical meaning lies behind the Southern adverbial usage of plumb, as in ‘He fell plumb asleep’ as an indicator of completeness or totality. [/i].

When you feel that your dictionary is inadequate, may I suggest that you try ONE LOOK DICTIONARY SEARCH?

1 Like

Thank you, Mister Micawber!

Since yesterday I’ve found out several good definitions, but with no doubt I’ll examine your links carefully :slight_smile:

P.S.
By the way (just one point): what you would call as plumb belly :slight_smile: in Russian is flat belly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve never heard ‘plumb belly’, but I’ve got a nice flat stomach– I’ve been working seriously on my abs.

(Ms Google hasn’t much, either: only 7 English pages for “plumb belly”!)

1 Like

Oops…

Sorry, if plumb belly appeared to be ‘not English’.
(I’m still unable to distinguish pure (true :)) English ‘plumb belly’ from lots of others :slight_smile:

Thanks for the expression!

1 Like

We can safely assume that MM has a six-pack (stomach), then (or is on the road to getting one). I like the Spanish expression, too: a chocolate bar or (for the severely muscled ) a toblerone!

1 Like

I just learned the phrase ‘plumbing the depths’ by listening to Jon Erickson: "Illusions, Power and the Political Economy" | The Great Simplification and realized that we discussed this expression here on the forum back in October 2006, more than 16 years ago :wink:

1 Like

A synonym might be “probe”.
To probe the depths of hell.

The saying probably came from the literal use of a plumb bob. This is a weight attached to a string. When lowered into a deep hole until it hits the bottom it can be used to measure the depth of the hole.

I think something similar can be used to measure the depth of water.

The word is related to plummet - to fall, usually to fall quickly from a high place.

2 Likes

The word “plumb” comes from the Latin word for lead, plumbum. The chemical symbol for lead is Pb.

The weight at the end of the line was traditionally lead, so it is called a plumb line and the lead weight at the end is a plumb bob. I believe that today, though, plumb bobs are made of brass.
The plumb line can be used to ensure that something is perfectly vertical, or plumb.

You can also plumb, or measure, the depth of water using a sounding, or lead, line. I’ve also heard of “plumbed the depths of hell.”

I have never heard of a plumb belly.

1 Like