Meaning of 'swinging a dashed efficient shoe'

Hello,
Please could you explain the meaning of ‘swinging a dashed efficient shoe’ in the following context?
“Jeeves? I didn’t know he went in for that sort of thing.”
“Well, I suppose he has to relax a bit every now and then. Anyway, he was there, swinging a dashed efficient shoe.”

2 Likes

Hi Irina,
By the way, I do like your new photo - very attractive.

You have quoted from my favourite writer. The only way to explain this quote is by paraphrasing it - Displaying (in the sense of showing off) an extremely practical shoe. In other words the character is actually walking around in a pair of shoes that are very practical.

Incidentally have you read much of Wodehouse? I’d be interested to know what you think of him.

3 Likes

Hello Alan,
Thank you, I’m glad you like my profile picture. I decided to start the new year with small change.

Does ‘efficient’ or ‘practical’ shoe in this sentence mean that it’s suitable for dancing?

I started to read ‘The inimitable Jeeves’ but it’s not very smoothy (if it’s possible to say so). Sometimes I ‘stumble’ on idioms or words which are rarely used nowadays. I guess it’s Wodehouse’s style as well. I like ‘Jeeves and Wooster’ series more.

2 Likes

Hi Irina, it just occurred to me that this phrase of yours can be quite ambiguous. Do you see what I mean?

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,
Yes, I understand. I had some doubts about this phrase. Probably, my problem is that I still think in Russian and compose sentences according to the native semantics.
Maybe ‘I decided to start the new year with changing my appearance’ sounds better. Also, I would like to stress that the changing was little.

2 Likes

Hi Irina,
Glad you like Wodehouse and I appreciate that there are language problems with some of his expressions. He was highly and is highly regarded as a writer and Evelyn Waugh (I am sure you have heard of him) once described him as ‘The head of our profession. He is the best writer to read in times of stress - like the time we are all enduring now. By the way how are you coping with he pandemic where you are living?
Back to your question about dancing. What he is suggesting here is describing the jaunty (lively) way he us walking but not to do with dancing. Let me know how you are faring
Take care,
Alan

3 Likes

Hi Irina,
You say ‘not very smoothly’. Not quite sure what you mean unless you are suggesting that the sentences don’t flow. This must be to do with the difficulty in understanding certain expressions.If they were clearer to you, I am sure you would experience his talent in story telling. The plots in his stories are ridiculous of course but the structure and fluidity of his English is superb, He loved watching soap operas on TV in America where lived a large part of his life. A very good friend of mine who was a journalist had the good fortune to visit him in America to write an article on him. He told me after a long talk, Ethel,his wife, came rushing in and said he must stop and watch his favourite soap.

3 Likes

As you know English is a peculiar language. The phrase ‘with little change’ can mean with ‘a few coins/with a small amount of money’ while ‘with a little change’ would convey the meaning you clearly intended.

2 Likes

Thank you, Torsten! You are absolutely right!

1 Like

Hi Alan,
The pandemic situation in Russia is difficult. The officials say that the vacine is the only way to cope with it. But there are pros and cons. I’m trying to be optimistic and think it’s a matter of time.
I didn’t know that Wodehouse is considered to be an ‘antistressful’ author. Probably, I need to get accustomed to his style. Thank you for your help!

2 Likes