Meaning of "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

Can someone please tell me what this line means?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

It’s a play on word.

Denial sounds like ‘de Nile’. (somebody saying ‘the Nile’ with an accent).

And the Nile is of course a river in Egypt.

There’s a country and western song that has a line “Call me Cleopatra, because I’m the queen of denial.”

Thanks Skrej!

Can you tell me what it means? Has it got a meaning at all?

It’s a kind of joke. If somebody is in denial, they might deny that they’re in denial, and pretend that you’re talking about the Nile.

So, the Nile isn’t just a river in Egypt, denial is a problem you’re having with yourself.

For example, If a friend was in denial about something, (for example refusing to admit they’d made a mistake), I could say “Hey, denial isn’t just a river in Egypt, you know.”

Hello Daemon99,

In my humble opinion(I may be wrong.), denial is not just a river in Egypt could mean: Not only is the Nile a river in Egypt, but it also is the symbol of this Country(Or stand for something else, for instance: love, etc.). It’s a metaphor. What do you think?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your explanation on this phrase, Skrej. I think I am way off… :oops:

To expand on Skrej’s answer a bit —The phrase is a play on the words and it means that someone (the person referred to) is in denial.

Suppose that I’m with two friends and I make a statement like, “My marriage will last forever…” However, the reality is my spouse has moved out and is living with someone else. One of my friends might look at the other one and say, “The Nile (Denial) is not a just a river in Egypt.” What he’s saying is not only is “the Nile” a river in Egypt, but we also have “Denial” right here. He’s saying that I’m in denial about the true state of my marriage. Make sense??