MBA without full-time work experience?

Hi,

my name is Reka, I just joined the community. The main reason for doing this is that I am very very very confused :frowning:

I have just started preparing for the GMAT, and started doing research on business schools that offer MBA programmes - and I realized I have very little chances to be accepted anywhere, because I have only a few months of work experience (at 7-Eleven…). Even though I demonstrated leadership and determination (3 months as a sales associate, then next summer another 3 months, during which I took all the necessary tests for assistant manager - as far as I know, I am the only one who did the whole thing in less than 90 days). Do you think this counts towards “relevant work experience”?

I am sort of discouraged, even though I need to gain back my motivation to be able to study hard for the next months…

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Reka Nagy

Hi Reka,

I am also new to GMAT n MBA but as far as i know , work experience counts 5 on 10 while applyin for a universities . well anyways you need not be discouraged , because once you have a good score in GMAT , you can get into good universities .

Regards,
Amritha

Hi Amritha, thanks for your opinion. What do you exactly mean by “work experience counts 5 on 10”? Percent? Or 5 out of 10 (so half of my application is based on the work experience)?

Are you going to apply to Europe or USA?

Reka :slight_smile:

I basically meant 5 out of 10 :slight_smile: , i am applying for USA , how about you and What materials are you refering for GMAT .

Amritha

5 out of 10?? That IS a lot! :frowning: That’s like no experience = you cut your chances in half :frowning:

I am applying for USA as well, however, I am not decided which schools to pick. Obviously, I need to go for a school that does not have a minimum work experience as an entry requirement.

What materials I am referring? Well, I think that each person is different in terms of level of knowledge and of commitment, so each of us needs to tailor the preparation for herself/himself. I prefer books (Official Guide, Kaplan’s, Barron’s and Manhattan - these are the ones I was looking at, and at the end I purchased Kaplan’s), plus websites (this one is excellent, I am glad I found it!). In addition, I found it very useful to download the powerprep software from mba.com, and practice as it is going to be on the real exam.

Unfortunately English is not my native language, so I find the whole GMAT a bit overwhelming - but hey, if that’s what they ask for, then that’s what I have to do, right? :slight_smile:

When do you plan taking the test?

R.

Well i am planning to take up GMAT in feb 2009 , actually you can pick up good skills by a dedicating a month or so for the preparation . i am yet to start the preparation coz , i have no idea as to wich books i should refer to and how to go about the preparation :slight_smile: .when are you planning to take up the exam ?

November 2008. But as I told, my mother-tongue is not English, and that doesn’t exactly speed things up.

Plus, I have this issue with my undergrad diploma: I graduated in England in June 2008, with a First class diploma, which is really equivalent to an American A - but in percentages, it is only around 80%, which is equivalent to an American B. However, in England everything between 70% and 100% equals an A… So I need to get this solved first, then I can think about the rest.

Also, this work exp thing gives me a headache…

Anyway, if you need books, I can recommend the ones I told you earlier - they are professional, accurate, and really good!

My mother tongue too is not english , but i dont think it will be that difficult for you to manage with GMAT , anyways give your best , Well thats thank u for the refering me on the materials . :slight_smile: good luck .