Many students are asked to evaluate their professors at the end of the semester. Do you think it is a good idea? Why?

University assessments are like a double-edged sword. Many believe that students judge university professors unfairly, and assessing professors is not beneficial. Others, however, think that students should have this right to say their opinions about professors’ performance. From my point of view, the advantages of assessments outweigh the disadvantages because it keeps professors up to date and promotes the universities rank.

First and foremost, professors must be reliable sources of tutoring. When you attend an academic class, you expect to obtain the most accurate and precise information from the lecturer. The university professors must be aware of the latest breakthroughs and improvements in their field. Some professors, however, usually do not care about learning new things, and most of their information is obsolete and not valid anymore. For instance, in my first semester at the university, we had a professor who did not care about the new standard curriculum. He was teaching us some old and irrelevant information that he used to teach in the past. At the end of the semester, my classmates and I showed our demonstration against his way of teaching (by means of assessment). The head of the department heard our voice and made the professor correct his old topics and information. The following semester, that professor updated the curriculum and taught the new students based on the latest scientific improvements. Therefore, assessments can make the professors read about new topics and stay up to date.

Secondly, university rank hugely depends on whether students are free enough to judge professors or not. When students understand that a particular university gives them this freedom to assess their professors, more astute and top students will be encouraged to attend the university. For instance, when I finished my bachelor’s degree and wanted to apply for a master’s program, I was contemplating applying to a particular university. Nevertheless, I heard the news about that university stating that the university does not care about student’s opinions. When some students showed their dissatisfaction about being score unfairly in the midterm exam, the department deprived students of continuing their class. So, that news changed my attitude toward applying to the university because of that mistreatment. In addition, many clever and top students like me applied to another university that we knew how well they treat their students and let them assess their professors freely. As you can see, assessment can boost the university’s status by attracting more intelligent students.

To sum up, students should be permitted to assess their professors. This freedom will not only benefits the students but also benefits the professors. In addition, when professors understand that their performance is being monitored, they would instruct students much better. Therefore, universities should pay more attention to the students’ opinions about their professors.

2 Likes

University evaluations are a double-edged sword. Many believe that students judge professors unfairly and that evaluating professors is not beneficial. Others, however, believe that students should have the right to express their opinions about professors’ performance. In my opinion, the benefits of evaluations outweigh the disadvantages, as they keep professors informed and enhance the reputation of the university.

First and foremost, professors need to be a reliable source of tutoring. When you attend an academic event, you expect the instructor to be as accurate and precise as possible. University professors need to be aware of the latest breakthroughs and improvements in their field. However, some professors are not interested in learning new things, and most of their information is outdated and no longer valid. For example, in my first semester at the university, we had a professor who did not care about the new standard curriculum. He taught us some old and irrelevant information that he had taught in the past. At the end of the semester, my classmates and I demonstrated against his way of teaching (using an assessment). The head of the department heard our voice and made the professor correct his old topics and information. The following semester, the professor updated the curriculum and taught the new students based on the latest science. Therefore, evaluations can make professors learn about new topics and stay up to date.

Secondly, the rank of a university largely depends on whether students are free enough to evaluate professors or not. If students understand that a certain university gives them this freedom to judge their professors, more smart and good students will be encouraged to attend that university. For example, when I graduated with my bachelor’s degree and wanted to apply for a master’s program, I considered applying to a certain university. However, I heard in the news about that university that it did not care about students’ opinions. When some students expressed their dissatisfaction that they were graded unfairly in the midterm exam, the department withdrew the students’ opportunity to continue their course. This news changed my attitude about applying to the university because of this mistreatment. In addition, many smart and good students like me applied to another university that we knew treated their students well and let them freely evaluate their professors. As you can see, evaluation can increase the reputation of the university by attracting smarter students.

In summary, students should be allowed to evaluate their professors. This freedom benefits not only the students, but also the professors. If professors know that their performance is being monitored, they will teach students better. Therefore, universities should pay more attention to students’ opinions about their professors.

2 Likes

could you please clarify the differences between following sentences?

He was teaching us some old and irrelevant information that he used to teach in the past.
vs
He taught us some old and irrelevant information that he had taught in the past.

deprived students of continuing their class
vs
withdrew the students’ opportunity to continue their course

changed my attitude toward
vs
changed my attitude about

2 Likes

Let’s go through them a couple at a time. I see no reason why you should use the past continuous “was teaching here”. Instead, it’s a case for the simple past, while the subordinate clause should be in the past perfect, since it describes an activity in the distant past. Please let me know if this makes sense.

2 Likes