Many collective nouns vs many other collective noumd

In referring to two people, couple, like many collective nouns, may take either a singular or a plural verb. Most commonly, it is construed as a plural: The couple were traveling to Texas.

Shouldn’t it be “many other collective nouns” instead of “many collective nouns”?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Either one is fine in my opinion.

3 Likes

You are talking about the similarities between “couple” and “many collective nouns”, so I also think either way is fine.

If you were talking about dissimilarities, using perhaps using “unlike”instead of “like”, I would tend to include “other”, though it’s still not absolutely necessary.

BTW, you’re referring to couple as a word and not a concept, so it should be italicized or within quotes.

2 Likes

I agree with NN and Arinker. However, it all depends on whether we see the couple as a single unit (as a whole) or as seperate inidividuals. Mind you, they still belong together. So, allow me to give you some other examples:

• The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra was playing Mozart. (= as a whole playing notes at the right pitch that agree with others being played = in harmony)

• The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra were tuning their instruments. (= as seperate musicians, making a mixture of sounds that may or may not be experienced as very irritating or even painful to one’s ears = cacophony).

Although there’s little difference in meaning, strict grammarians and examiners may insist on using the correct verb form in formal English.

1 Like