making a joke about eating ice cream being gay

I feel I need a tip on how to read the expressions like:

“Richard Hammond has been criticised after making a joke about eating ice cream being gay”.
[you could interpret it like being gay you may eat it in a special way]
……“Richard Hammond replied: “It’s all right, I don’t eat ice cream. It’s something to do with being straight.”

Edited.

The very unique ‘humour’ displayed by the three presenters of ‘Top Gear’ and ‘Grand Tour’ is very difficult to explain to someone who is not very familiar with the British ‘Laddish’ attitude.
Looking at the entire report at
is.gd/dMAg3e
he’s (jokingly, in his opinion) saying that heterosexual grown men would not eat ice cream. As his (most definitely straight) co-presenter has implied that he does eat ice-cream this is probably intended as a joke at his co-presenter’s expense (they tease each other like this all the time, it is the sort of banter the show is famous for). Unfortunately, this particular ‘joke’ went too far and offended a lot of people.

Eugene,

Although Bev has patiently explained the circumstances of the ‘incident’, in my opinion the three members of the Top Gear gang are the most arrogant and objectionable individuals on TV as there were on BBC. The loudest mouth of them all, Clarkson tops the lot with his smirking and self-satisfied attitude. What amazes me is how they can make so much money out of being so revolting. That’s life!