"Low" in " low physical activity " is adj or adv?

Hi all, who can explain to me how can I identify " type of word of “low” in " low physical activity " ( Health - ielts topic ) ?
. I actually feel confused whether “low” is modifying “physical” or “low” is modifying “physical activity” not ?
thank in advance

2 Likes

Both ‘low’ and ‘physical’ are adjectives that describe the noun ‘activity’.

2 Likes

Low activity
Physical activity
Low physical activity

Compare to:

Small car
Blue car
Small blue car

3 Likes

To me, “low physical activity” without the word “level” seems rather strange.
“Low level of physical activity”
“Low physical activity level”

3 Likes

I agree with you. The problem is that IELTS is already irrelevant, but since they still have a lot of influence and resources, they get away with issues like this:

As a result of electronic inventions such as the computer and television, people do less physical activity, and this is having a negative effect on their health. To what extent do you agree or disagree?" and there are sites that are selling the following as part of a so-called 'Band 8.5 essay:

Furthermore, adults suffer the effects of low physical activity as well.

For example, many people decide to stay home and watch tv series on their smart screen or phones for many hours after work rather than going to the gym or practicing any other kind of sports.

As a result of this , a big amount of the population suffers obesity. As adults, they should consider cooking healthy food to prevent overweight because of the lack of physical activity.

4 Likes