'look sth through' versus 'look through sth'

Hi,

a. Always look your work through before handing it in.
b. Always look through your work before handing it in.
c. When I walked into my office, I caught a thief looking through my desk drawer.
d. When I walked into my office, I caught a thief looking my desk drawer through.

Do you think “look sth through” and “look through sth” have the same meaning?Thus, (a) and (b) have the same meaning, © and (d) have the same meaning?
If not, please tell me their differences. (I can’t find in the dictionary).

Alandro

Just as you cannot say “look your work at”, you also cannot say “look your work through”.
Only b + c are possible.

You wrote:
Just as you cannot say “look your work at”, you also cannot say “look your work through”.

1/Just as means…Just as is an expression or only a combination of “just” and “as”?
2/There isn’t “look your work at” in my sentences above. Could you explain clearlier?
3/“look through” in (b) and © have the same meaning?

Alandro

Hi,

There are two kinds of verbs - prepositional and phrasal. In the prepositional verb the preposition is as it were semantically linked with the verb and cannot be separated from the verb. In the case of the phrasal verb the two parts can be separated and the object can either go between the two parts or after.

Here is an example of the same pair of words with different meanings: turn off. This can mean either switch off (as of a light/television) and also divert in the sense go in a different direction.

You can say: I turned the tv off or I turned off the tv (phrasal verb)

You can only say: When you reach the next sign post, you must turn off the motorway. (prepositional verb)

In the example Amy has given you, look at is a prepositional verb.

Alan

1/
Click here and look at the dictionary definition for just as. (Definition 1 in particular.)

2/
look at = verb + preposition
look through = verb + preposition

3/
Click here for dictionary help: through

The meanings are similar. Assuming “your work” is a written report (or something similar), I’d say definition 14 should be useful to you for a) and definition 3 would apply to b).
Please make a note of this website:
onelook.com/

It is quite useful for finding dictionary definitions of words and phrases.

You wrote:

You can say: I turned the tv off or I turned off the tv (phrasal verb) (1)

You can only say: When you reach the next sign post, you must turn off the motorway. (prepositional verb)(2)

“Off” in (1) is adv, “off” in (2) is preposition?

ALandro

Hi,

Funny, this looks familiar:

It’s a small world, isn’t it?
Alan

Hi,

Who is Huong? I don’t know him/her. This is my own question.
Maybe he/she copied my topic?
Now, I understand why you don’t share with me your opinions but you asked me where the questions are from.
Do you need my address in Italy? I can give it to you and I am very welcome to invite you to my home when you go to Italy.
In short, I don’t know who Huong is.

Alandro