listening to her speak

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #821 [color=blue]“‘Back’ Common Usages (3)”, question 3

I was listening to her speak, but in the back of my , I was thinking about my first love, Kristin.

(a) ear
(b) eyes
(c) mind
(d) brain

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #821 [color=blue]“‘Back’ Common Usages (3)”, answer 3

I was listening to her speak, but in the back of my mind, I was thinking about my first love, Kristin.

Correct answer: (c) mind
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hello,

Could you please tell whether the word “speak” is correct in this test sentence Question 3? According to thefreedictionary.com, “speak” can mean “speech communication”, which is also a noun (thefreedictionary.com/Speech+communication).

However, I guess this word “speak” is a typo in this test sentence. Shouldn’t it be “speech” or otherwise?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

‘Speak’ is correct. ‘Speaking’ would also be correct.

oxfordadvancedlearnersdictio … ry/speak_1

Bhik,

In this construction the verb ‘listen’ is followed by an object and the verb ‘speak’. So, the word ‘speak’ is a verb rather than a noun.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Competitive fencing[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Torsten and Beeesneees,

My thanks to both of you for resolving my doubt about the usage of “speak”. Owing to your responses, I concluded that “listen to” is a verb of perception and is used with an object followed by a verb, either a base form or a gerund. In this case of the test sentence, the object is “her” and the verb is either “speak” or “speaking”.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.