Listening comprehension and spelling test?

Hi,

Here is a new listening comprehension and spelling test for you. If you click on the link below you will see a page that contains two audio recordings. On the first one you can hear Raymond Romanos from the US and on the second one Edward Corp from the UK. Your task is to write down exactly what speakers say. The first sentences of Raymond’s recording have been written for you:

“Ah, my name is Raymond. I’m from West Hartford, Connecticut in the United States. It’s located more or less between Boston and New York. Eh, I was born in Hartford and I grew up in West Hartford. And from West Hartfort I went to Cincinnati to study. And I studied English in Cincinnati, Ohio and after my studies I moved to Wyoming and worked as a cook.” Here is Raymond Romanos’ recording.

TOEFL listening lectures: What does the professor imply about Leonardo da Vinci?

Hello,

I really like these kind of exercises. Although, I found the audio recordings a little bit too long as we have to write everything down. I’ve just finished listening to Raymond Romanos, I’ll take a break, and then I’ll listen to Edward Corp.

by the way, shall we post what we’ve written down here in the forum?

Take care! :slight_smile:

Hi Rosa,

Many thanks for your message. I’m very glad you like these materials. Please remember that you can stop the recording at any point so they are not too long at all. Yes, please do write down what you hear here on the forum.

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention Mona Lisa?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

Just thought I’d let you know that your link doesn’t link to Raymond or Edward anymore. (It looks like the link has changed since you originally posted it.)

Hello again, you’ll see why I said I found the recordings rather long :slight_smile:

There were a few words I couldn’t understand.

…and I was a cook for cowboys and the I got into photography, moved back to West Hartford to do more with photography and then I decided to go down to Washington D.C. and see if I could fin work there.

Meanwhile I had met a German girl in West Hartford Conneticut and we kept in contact. When I moved back to Virginia, which is near Washington, she had moved back to Germany. I didn’t like Virginia as much as I thought I would and she had mentioned that I should come and visit her in Germany and so I did. And this was back in 1996 so when I came to Germany I had no plans to stay for a long time but no plans not to stay for a long time, so my original plan was to be with her and to learn German and to see Germany, and so that was in '96 and we’re in 2003, almost 2004.

In the meantime, we broke up but I stayed in Leipzig because life was good here and life is good here. When I first came to Leipzig my impression was much different because this was only 6 years after the fall of the Berlin wall and many things had not exist, for example, take-away coffee or there was very difficult to find a decent sandwich, not all the buildings had been renovated and so it was very grey. I was not used to the winters here which were, in comparision to Conneticut, not as extreme, but mostly grey. And the winters in Conneticut are tipically very very cold and with snow and here it’s not as cold and if there’s snow it lasts about 24 hours before it disappears so rarely I find time to go skiing here, but I really can’t go skiing here because there’re no mountains, the best you could find is some hill somewhere and find a sled so you have to be real fast here in Leipzig to go sledding.

When I came to Germany I worked as a photographer, I worked measuring apartments, anything I could to basically survive, I____________________, I helped edit texts and then finally I started teaching English. My first teaching experience was very difficult because I didn’t quite understand all the concepts of English, I mean, I may have studied it in College but learning how it works and trying teaching are two different things, so I had to relearn how English worked for me to teach it. Also when I arrived I had to learn German and so learning German helped me teach English, because then I understood how people learn languages. So although I’ve been here for 6 years or 7 years, my German is not as good as it could be, although I can read newspapers and texts and understand them fully, I still haven’t quite managed to speak like a German. Germans _________tend to have a way of using their words which no foreigner could quite master. You have to be German to master German, I think. But it’s a fun language, it’s more precise than English. It’s got many more expressions, and dialects are fun to listen to. I have a lot of contact to the local people here in Leipzig, many because I do teach them and a lot of my students invite me out to coffee or we have__________________which they invite me out too or I myself. There are also lots of foreigners here. I can meet up with them. There are plenty of foreign round tables for people who want to learn different languages or for people who wanting to learn German or English so through that I can meet lots of people and

Most of my friends are either Germans or Americans. I have 2 very good American friends and the rest are all German, so I spend most of my time going back and ________between English and German and I’m in fact studying German again privately so I can improve it because after 7 years there are many things which you can learn to help you speak better, pronunciation and mostly and more importantly, idioms.

I go back about twice a year to America to visit my father who lives in Conneticut or to my mother who lives in South Carolina. I tipically go back in the summer, around June for a family gathering which is about 30 people and we rent about 4 cottages on a lake and we all get together and basically go from one cottage to another eating our way for two weeks. That’s a lot of fun. And when I visit my mother, and she lives in South Carolina in a place called___________ Beach________________not much to do there, you could go________________or you could go swimming at the beach but mostly we hang out and we talk.

Back in Conneticut I still have my friends. They meet at a coffee shop in the center of West Hartford at 2 o´clock for coffee. They’ve been doing this since 1993 and when I go back I still know everyone and it’s fun. I got my free cup of coffee because they never see me and the people who work there still know me and they bring up to date on to what’s going on. It’s a lot of fun.

My language have changed since I’ve been here. Many people who are American would talk to me very slowly and would tell me that my English is very strange but nice, and I say: ¨That’s nice¨ and they say ¨Where are you from?¨and I say ¨Well I’m from Conneticut¨and they go ¨really?¨ and I go ¨Yeah, really¨and they say ¨where’s your accent?¨I go ¨Well, you can’t walk around with an accent all your life. If you live somewhere else you have to lose it and when you teach English you can’t teach accents, you have to teach a general English which people can understand and so I’ve tried to change my English a little bit so that people can understand me better because when I talk real fast______________

When I go back to Conneticut, after a month in Conneticut I’ll talk like a normal Conneticut person which will be, hard r’s, o’s don’t exist. It’s no Conneticut but Conneticut and it’s not ¨progress¨but ¨progress¨. So there’s a very distinct New England accent which one can hear if one listens to my voice but it’s mostly ___________________so among other things, my accent has changed as well as my vocabulary.

When you talk to an American or anybody who has been living here in Leipzig for a long time, certain words suddenly fall into our vocabulary, for example (German word) instead of street car or ____________ or we would talk about going to (German word) which is that train station or to (German word) which is the immigration office and you’ll use these words among other things like (German word) for cabinet or (German words) for plate and table and we’ll mix and we’ll call it ¨Genglish¨and everyone, doesn’t matter what country, will mix.

And it’s very difficult when I go back to the States not to mix because I know and I’ve to keep telling myself that no one there understands German so I can’t go mixing like I can do in Germany, in Leipzig.
I find it amazing how Germans can express themselves to such detail. They know exactly what’s going on. I’m just completly amazed by that. You ask someone about how a car works and they’ll tell you how a car slides and the reasons why a car slides on the ice or ________________ they’ll give you details which an American person would not do.

They would use lots of and’s and huh’s and things like but Germans will tell you to the exact detail what it is or they’ll say______________they don’t know so it’s been quite a learning experience from a technical…

Hi Amy,

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. Now the address is correct again.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A stereotypical toy means?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I Thorsten,
well, I first listened to Romanos and I understood really every word. Then I wanted to try to transcribe the UK-speaker and it was so difficult. His accent is really strong and I didn’t undestand many words. So I gave the trascription up, because I would have left a lot of blanks. It is incredible sometimes how accents can change!

hi,thanks for sending message!I really liked this exercise,because this kind of exercises do improve not only one skill in learning any foreign language but also listening and vocabulary.so I thank you for your job.As for writing the text,I must say that for this I have really not enough time,but I have downloded it and will listen to it when I can.I hope you’ll not take offend for this.Again thanks and good luck!

Dear friends:

I had a good time listening to this chap. I understood every single word, just because he talked very slowly and clearly. He does teaching for a living, so I guess he has to speak like that. I would like to listen to him again, but in his real accent. I learn much more when people forget I am not a native speaker, even if I don’t understand anything.

Thank you very much,
Enrique Muñoz

From the E- English course I learn more and more. I felt it is very interesting learning that I had mentions always. It’s true that we are all waiting for feedback. I think my progress much better than before. Especially I got my confidence. The reading materials I can understand easily. I can pick the word. But problem is I can’t write properly and my speaking is not good. I try to speak but can’t properly. That is my opinion but I think I can manage every think because I have to attend so many meeting, seminar and workshop. The entire event is English.
From Torsten mail I have find a new message. I thought our test results were not recorded but now I am cleared that it was save in my personal progress page. Normally I practices one time when I got that mail. It’s depended on my answer that how many answer I was corrected. If it was less then correct 8 out of 10 i was try it again.
I try to write in the forum. But I need its feedback. I believe that it is not possible but we can be respond. Ok I will respond others in the forum
Unfortunately I can’t attend Sue phonetics lessen. I don’t have that access. I know I miss lots but what I do? Its reality.
sayyida

Hello dear Torsten!

I would like to do this exercise, but it is so difficult for me.
Really I improve my English with you and with other sites, but to do this exercise need long time and many skills which I have not yet.
I hope you think about me and others like me and choose exercises which suit our level, better if that will be step by step.

Best regards.
Abdelhamid

Hi Abdelhamid,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. You are right. If you want to define yourself as a ‘beginner’, it might be better for you to listen to these audio recordings. How many of them have you listened so far and how much do you think you understand?

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A man on a ladder[YSaerTTEW443543]

hy
sorry but i can not whrite what ray say ; it is too difficuld for me just now whitout dictionary ,though I understand a lot

Hi Emil,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. What you can do is to try and write separate words you think you understand. You have to start at some point. Saying you can’t write anything you hear is not the best solution ;-).

Let me know what you think and welcome to english-test.net again.
Regards,
Torsten
PS: Thank you for uploading your photo.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: What time is your appointment with Ms. Johnston?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I like this kind of exercise. So I told you, it’s difficult enough for me to understand English spoken, but I can tell you that I understood about 85% of Raymond’s recording. I reached this percent after I was listening it for two or three times.
Can we see the correct transcript anywhere?

You are right, we must see each other, like in a classroom. So, as you see, I downloaded my photo.
Regards,
Diana

Hi.
I really liked the audio recording.
I am not that good in spelling, so I had some difficalties writing it down. I didn’t understand some parts, but I stll tried to write them. A real problem for me were German words, because I don’t know German.
I hope you will help me to improve my English.

Here is the rest of Raymond’s story:

Listen to Raymond Romanos

…and I was a cook for cowboys. And then I got into a photography, moved back to West Hartford to do more with photography. And then I decided to go down to Washington D.C. and see if I could find work there.

Meanwhile I had met a… a German girl in West Hartford, Connecticut, and we kept in contact. Eh, when I moved down to Virginia, which was near Washington, she had moved back to German. And I didn’t like Virginia as much as I thought I would. And she had mentioned that I should come and visit her in Germany and so, I did. And this was back in 1996. So when I came to Germany I had no plans to stay for a long time , but no plans not to stay for a long time. So my original plan was to be with her and to learn German and to see Germany. Mh, so it was in 96 and now we are in 2003 almost 2004. Eh, in the meantime we broke-up , but I stayed in Leipzig, because life is good here. No, life is good here.

When I first came to Leipzig my impression was much different, because this is only 6 years after “The Fall of the Berman Wall”. And many things did not exist, for example: ah, take-away coffee or there was very difficult to find a decent sandwich, not all the buildings had been renovated and so it was very grey.

I was not used to the winters here, which were, in compares to Connecticut, not as extreme, but mostly grey. And the winters in Connecticut are typically very-very cold with, eh, with snow. And here it’s not as cold, and if there is snow it lasts about 24 hours before it disappears. So, I barley find time to go to skying here, but really you can’t go skying here, because there are no mountains. The best thing you can find is a hill somewhere by the sled. So you have to be real fast here in Leipzig to go sledding.

Well, I came to Germany I worked as a photographer, I worked measuring apartments - anything I could do to basically survive. I moved loans, I helped edit texts. And then I finally started teaching English. My first teaching experience in English was very difficult, because I didn’t quite understand all the concept of English. I mean I may have studied it in college, but learning how it works and trying to teach it are two different things. So I had to relearn how English worked for me to teach it. Also when I arrived I had to learn German. And so learning German and teching English.

Well, learning German helped me teach English, because when I understood how people learn languages. So, although I have been here for 6 years or 7 years my German is not as good as it could be. Although I can read newspapers and texts and understand them fully I still haven’t quite managed to speak like a German. Germans sitten to have a way of using their words, which no… no foreigner could quite master. You have to be German to master German, I think. But it’s a fun language: it’s more precise than English, it’s got many more expressions and dialects are fun to listen to.

I have a lot contact to the local people here in Leipzig. May be because I do teach them. And a lot of my students invite me out to coffee. Or we have advance at night staying up to, which I go out myself. There are a lots of foreigners here, I can meet up with them. There are plenty of foreign round tables for people willing to learn different languages, or for people willing to learn German or English. And so through that I can meet lots of people. And helped me met lots of people.

Most of my friends are either Germans or Americans. I have two very good American friends, the rest of them are German. So I spend most of my time going back and though between English and German. Eh, and I am in fact studying German again privately, so that I can prove it. Because after 7 years, eh, there are many things which you can learn to help you speak better, pronunciation mostly and important the idioms.

I go back about twice a year to America to visit my father, who lives in Connecticut, or to my mother, who lives in South Carolina. I typically go back in the summer around June for a family gathering, which is about 30 people and we rent about 4 cottages on a lake. And we all get together and basically go from one cottage to another eating all way for the two weeks. And that’s a lot of fun.

And when I visit my mother, and she lives in South Carolina in the place called Murtle Beach. Eh, there is really not much to do there: you could go mini - shogolfitting or you could go swimming at the beach. But mostly we hang out, we talk.

Back in Connecticut I still have my friends and I still meet-up with my friends. They meet at the coffee-shop in the centre of West Hartford at 2 o’clock for coffee. They been doing this since 1993. And so when I go back I still know everyone and it is fun. I get my free cup of coffee, because they never see me and the people, who work there, still know me. And they brining up the dates as towards been going on. It’s a lot of fun.

My language has changed since I been here. Many people who are American would talk to me very slowly and would tell me that my English is very strange, oh, but nice. And I say, “That’s nice”. And they say, “Where are you from?”. and I say, “Well, I am from Connecticut”. And they go, “Really?!”. And I go, “Yes, really”. And they go, “Where is your accent?” And I go, “Well, you can’t go around with your accent all your life, if you live somewhere outs. You have to loose it.”

And when you teach English You can’t teach accents, you have to teach general English, which people can understand. And so I’ve tried to change my English a little bit, so that people could understand me better. Because when I talk real fast … And… Well, we’ll see when I go back to Connecticut I will talk like a normal Connecticut person. Which will be hard "a:"s, "o"s don’t exist. It’s not [ko’nektiket], but [ke’nektiket]. And it’s not [prog’res], but [prag’res]. So, there is a very distinct “New England” accent. One can heir if once listens to my voice. But… it’s mostly , it’s mostly talked away.

So among other things my accent has changed as well as my vocabulary. When you talk to an American, who has been living or anybody, who has been living in Leipzig for a long time. Certain words were suddenly falling into your vocabulary, for example “" instead of street car or tram. And we would talk about going to that "", which is a train station. Or to the "", which is the Immigration Office. And so we will do… we will use those worlds like "__” for cabinet, or “" or "” for plate and table. And we will mix and we call this new language Genglish.

And everybody, everyone doesn’t matter from what country will mix. And it’s very difficult when I go back to The States not to mix. Because I know and I have to keep telling myself, that no-one there understands German. So I can’t go mixing like I can do in Germany in Leipzig.

I find it amazing how Germans can express themselves to such a detail. They know exactly what’s going on. I just… I am completely amazed by that. When you ask someone about how a car works and they will tell you, and they will tell you how the car slides and the reasons why the car will slide on the ace or ________ . Or the will give you details which an American person would not do. They would use a lots of ands and ehs and things like that.

And German would tell you to the exact detail what it is. Or they would take kind a head off - they don’t know. But… So, It’s been quite a learning experience from a technical perspective. So…

Listen to Raymond Romanos

Hello again!
I find the next Recording much shorter, but it’s very hard for me to understand England Accent, but still I tried my best to write it down, although I didn’t understand a lot out of it.

I hope you going to respond to my writing, because I really made a lot of mistakes.
Anyways, I want my English to be better, so that’s why I am here!

Listen to speaker from London

I have been here now approximately two and a half years and I only feel like I want to start to discover the best parts. For a profession I some times I work as an English teacher. Although his summer I have done some other things. I breed dogs. I have two dogs, one of each is currently in England. And I have a young dog that helped me living off this summer, I am training every day.

I also export and buy from the former Eastern countries, Germany, from the Czechoslovakia, export to London. It seems very popular in the city at the moment. And I intend to do this again before the end of this year.

There are lots of differences between London and Leipzig, but also many similarities. I do think that the people here are very friendly. Perhaps is the capital city the people don’t have so much time in London. And here in Leipzig people are very friendly and always have a lot of time for you. And people are very open-mind I find in this city, more also than I would imagine them to be in London.

Eh, the architecture is also very different and onn a very large scale in comparison to what I am used to at home. The weather is also very fine: instead of four very distinct seasons, I would say; have very hot summer; short, but hard winter; also have a distinct autumn and spring too. What it is perhaps in England we do tend to have a very long autumn spring and a very short summer and winter.

Listen to speaker from London

Hello Svitlana,

Thanks a lot for doing such an excellent job with the transcriptions of Ray’s and Ed’s recordings. I’ve checked your texts and they seem pretty accurate with a few minor things here and there. I’ve used the spell checker in Firefox to remove your typos. If you like, you can listen to the recordings again and post those phrases you are not sure about.

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The oil refinery[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Torsten,

I really spend some ammount of time doing the texts, so I would be very thankful if you could post the whole correct transcription of the texts, so I would know where I made the mistakes, outherwhise I can only guess…
I think that it woould be really great, If you could send a correct transcriptions to our e-mail addresses after we post it on the web-site, so we can check by ourselves the rest…

I am not sure, if you gonne like my idea, but I still hope to see all of my mistakes. And then I can work on the spelling of the paticular words, that I misspelled…

I am really excited to be here. ( If someone notise a wrong spelling, they should reply right away, that’s the best way to help someone to improve the language, or anykind of grammar mistakes)

I would be only happy to see where I am wrong.

Thank you. Waiting for the responces!!!
Svitlana

Hi Torsten,

AS I said before , it would be much easier for me just to see the orriginal text…

My question i as follows:

And then I got into (a) photography…

Do we use the article or not?

Thank you.
Lana