(d) watches

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #164 [color=blue]“Grammar Crunch (3)”, answer 5

I like watching movies on the weekends.

Correct answer: (b) watching

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
I like watch movies on the weekends.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hi. My Question is: Why is Watching and not is Watch? Maybe Because is a adverb? Please Help me. Thanks in advance

I like watching movies.
I like to watch movies.
… but not ‘watch’ without ‘to’

Okidoki. Thanks for the Information

Regards

ZeroSeven

That means that I can say: I like to walk every day or I like walking everyday.

Remember in your sentence, you need two words - every day.

Sometimes the infinitive can be used to show a particular action rather than a general one.

Hello Martha,

Every day (a two word expression) means daily/each day.
Everyday (a one word expression) actually just means ordinary or commonplace.

As your meaning is ‘daily’ only ‘every day’ can be used in your sentence.

Is it right to write: I like to walk or I like walking?
Thanks in advance.

Both are correct.

Yes, of course they are both correct but there is a difference in meaning.

Alan

In my view, the difference in meaning between
I like to walk every day
and
I like walking every day
is so small that a large number of the English speaking population would not differentiate.

Well, there’s a broad generalisation if you like.

Have a look at this:http://assets00.grou.ps/0F2E3C/wysiwyg_files/FilesModule/all4english/20101003183721-kmkjfpsfidnocfkar/gerund_infinitive.pdf

In a nutshell this suggests that the infinitive puts focus on the point of the activity and the gerund puts focus on the process of the activity. I am not so omniscient that I can speak on behalf any particular ‘number of the English speaking population’!

I’m aware that the focus changes but perhaps someone else will find your link useful.
I hope you noticed the ‘In my view…’ phrase at the start of my post. I’m entitled to voice my opinion based on my experiences. My purpose in doing so is to help learners understand that when they hear a native speaker use one of these two forms, it does not necessarily mean that the speaker is differentiating the way that the learner would.

Nobody has said that you are not ‘entitled to voice your opinion’. This is what everyone tries to do on these forums. My reference was to your use of the ‘English speaking population’. It was the sweeping nature of the comment that prompted my remark, which you have failed to appreciate.

I believe I am right. I wouldn’t expect you to agree with me, purely as a matter of course as much as anything else.
Whatever ‘prompted your remark’ in message #9 was obviously a different matter.

You are always so defensive in your messages that you invariably miss the point. You just keep on thinking you’re right if that keeps you happy.

Perhaps you miss the reason for any ‘defensiveness’ or maybe you think others can’t see it.

To get back to the point, it isn’t really a question of whether you are right and I am wrong or that I am right and you are wrong… It isn’t a question of agreement or disagreement since it is a matter of fact as illustrated by the language itself. Some verbs are followed by the infinitive only (learn, agree, refuse and so on). Some verbs are followed by the gerund only (stop, finish, enjoy and so on). Then there are those awkward ones that can take either. And a prime example of those verbs is ‘try’. This really illustrates the point I was trying to highlight because there is a difference between : try to do something and try doing something. As my good friend, John Keats says:

No cheers,

Alan