Learning the hora

Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

Margaret Strobel was born in North Dakota, but her family moved to St. Louis Park in the 1950s, where she went through junior high and graduated from Park in the class of 1964, just before my sisters. She went on to become director of the women’s studies program at the University of Illinois, and the author or editor of six books on feminism, race, and African history. She was also the director of the Jane Addams Hull-House Museum. She recalled:

I know that being in school with so many Jewish kids also influ-enced me. It was so—relatively—soon after the Holocaust. My Presbyterian youth group did a weekend overnight with a Conservative Jewish youth group that I still remember—learning the hora—and it was the same youth group that got me to go around St. Louis Park knocking on doors to raise money for some civil rights cause—what I think now must have been the Freedom Summer of 1964, though I can’t nail it down. I remember knocking on a door and the woman said something to the effect, “We should let them solve their own problems down there.” It was one of those moments in my life around race that still sticks out.

According to the dictionary “hora” is a kind of dance.

Does “learning the hora” imply that they learnt the hora during that weekend that they spent together?

Thank you.

3 Likes