LCCI EfB, task 2 (canteen memo)

TASK 2

Situation
For 2 weeks the restaurant and leisure area of your factory will be closed for re-decorating and the installation of new kitchen equipment. You have made arrangements to use the canteen of a company near to your premises. The lunchtime break will be extended by 15 minutes for all workers, to give time for walking to and from the factory. Lunchtime will operate on a rota system, 3 groups at half hour intervals, beginning at 11.30am.

Task
Write a memo of between 150 and 200 words to all supervisors, telling them of the new
arrangement. It will be their job to inform workers, to organise the rota system, and to ensure that no unnecessary time is spent away from the workplace.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you live by yourself?[YSaerTTEW443543]

To: all supervisors
Subject: re-decorating the restaurant/leisure area
Date: 17th January 2012

From 23rd of this month the restaurant will be re-decorated and will be closed till 6th of February.
During this time we have the possibility to use the canteen of Charly’s soundstation.
The lunch time will be extended by 15 minutes for all workers.
We have to organize the rota system for this two weeks including 3 groups at half hour intervals. The lunch break will start at 11.30 am.

Please send me your ideas what you prefer till tomorrow

regards

Mario Rudolph

Subject: lunch
Data: 17 January 2012

You all know that our old kitchen was closed for redecorating. The new canteen will be opened next month.
Until then our employees can use the canteen from the bakery company. But not all workers can have lunch at the some time and so we must organize a rota system with 3 groups.
The lunchtime break for all workers takes 30 minutes and begins at 11.30 a.m. with the first group. In a interval of a half hour follow the next both.
Please arrange such a system and inform your workers. Ensure that no unnecessary time spends away from the workplace.

Pleas let me know how you agreed and arranged to next monday

Subject: Attention!! restaurant and leisure area for 2 weeks closed!
Date: 17th January 2012

From 5th to 19th February closed our restaurant and leisure area. We will be re-decorating and the installation of new kitchen equipment.

We have made arrangements to use the canteen with our immediate neighbor the Müller company, with a number of local dishes or sushi dishes. The lunchtime break will be extended by 15 minutes for all workers. This is enough time for walking to. The Lunchtime will operate on a rota system, 3 groups at half hour intervals.

department sales: start: 11:30
department account: start: 12:00
department controlling start: 12:30

Please inform your team!

Hi Luschen, thank you very much for your suggestions and comments, we’ll go through them in detail later today. In the meantime, here is a sample memo provided by LCCI:

TO: ALL SUPERVISORS
DATE: SUITABLE DATE
SUBJECT: TEMPORARY LUNCH ARRANGEMENTS

You will probably have heard that our restaurant and leisure area is closing for 2 weeks in order that re-decoration and re-equipment of the kitchens can take place.
During this period of closure, I have made arrangements for our staff to use the canteen at Smith and Sons, who are just 5 minutes down the road from our front gates.

To allow our workers time to walk to and from Smith and Sons’ premises, I have allowed an extra 15 minutes to the usual lunchtime. This should be quite adequate.
Because Smith and Sons also use their canteen, we shall need to operate our lunch break on a rota system. This will be at 30 minute intervals starting at 11.30am. It will be the responsibility of all supervisors to work together to produce and monitor the lunch rota.

I need hardly remind you that normal work must not be interrupted, and therefore it will also be your responsibility to ensure that workers keep to the time allocated, so that production is not affected.

I look forward to your co-operation and commitment over this slightly difficult period.
Thank you!

Also, here is your third LCCI writing assignment: LCCI EfB, task 3 (letter: invitation)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Don’t we have to sign in at the front desk?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Luschen,

Thank you for your helpful response.
The task was a part of a mock exam, and I did it at the end of four parts. There wasn’t enough time left and I had to write something. So I did it. I’m at the beginning of learning business English and that’s why I’m very thankful for your constructive reply.
How are things in Nashville, Tennessee?

Regards

Mario

Hello Luschen,

thank you very much for your helpful suggestion and representations. It is great to get help from so far away. :slight_smile:

Regards
Katja

Hello Luschen

thank you for your response. It’s great that you help us to write a good memo. I think I must try it sometimes.
I have re-written the memo. Can you please check this version?

To: All Supervisors
Subject: Lunch
Date: 17 January 2012

You all know that our restaurant and leisure area will be closed next Monday for two weeks. These rooms will be redecorated and we will get a new kitchen.

Until then our employees can use the canteen from the bakery company next to us. But not all workers can have lunch at the same time, so we should organize a rota system with 3 groups.

The lunchtime break for each rotation of workers takes 30 minutes and begins at 11.30 a.m. with the first group. After an interval of half an hour the next group will follow.

Please keep this in mind and stick to this system and inform your workers. Ensure that no unnecessary time is spent away from the workplace. It may be possible for this short time.

Please give me a status report by this Friday.

I think you have done an excellent job with this memo. I would like to receive memos this clear and concise where I work! I made a couple suggestions - the main problem was that “It may be possible for this short time.” sentence which really didn’t fit in.

Hello Luschen

thank you for your good review but Torsten helped me with the fallowing sentences: Please keep this in mind, and stick to this system and inform your workers.
Unfortunately I couldn´t answer yesterday, our system was out of order.

With kind regards
Gabi

Hi Gabi, the sentence Torsten helped you with is indeed grammatically correct. I just personally thought it sounded better - “less stringy” - with my revision. I am sorry, I will try to make it more clear in the future what I consider true grammatical errors vs. my personal preference as to what would sound better.

To : All Supervisors
Subject: Re-decorating of the restaurant at our factory caused temporary changes
Date : 16.04.12

Our factory's restaurant and leisure are about to be closed, because of it's decorating and instalation of new equipments.
  Be advised, that according to the  agreement with our neighboring company, we can use it's canteen. Nevertheless, there are some changes of usual lunch's arrangement:
  1. The time for lunch will be expanded by 15 min.
  2. We have to use rota system with a half hour for each of 3 groups
  3. The lunchtime for first group starts at 11.30 a.m.
    You are expected to notify your section, to create 3 groups and to check, that any extra time will be spent away from the workplace.
    Please, report about your 3 groups till Monday.
    AC

To : All Supervisors
Subject: Re-decorating of the restaurant at our factory causING temporary changes
Date : 16.04.12

Our factory’s restaurant and leisure FACILITY are about to be closed FOR decorating and THE INSTALLATION of new EQUIPMENT.
Be advised that according to the agreement with our neighboring company, we can use ITS canteen. Nevertheless, there are some changes oTO THE USUAL LUNCHTIME arrangementS:

1. The LUNCHTIME will be expanded by 15 min.
  2. We have to use A rota system with a half hour for each of 3 groups.
  3. LUNCHTIME for THE first group starts at 11.30 a.m.

You are expected to notify your section 3 groups and to check that any extra time will be spent away from the workplace. <-- This sentence doesn’t make sense. So that I can be clear what you are trying to say, please can you explain in a little more detail.

Please report about your 3 groups till Monday. <-- This also doesn’t make sense. It looks as if one worker is supposed to report to three groups.