"later" or "latter"

Hi,

“Later” and “later” in the 2 sentences have the same meaning?

She found happiness in her later years.
She found happiness in her latter years.

Thanks
Khanh

Hi Khan,

I will explain them to ya, and anyone of our moderators can pop in to correct me if I am wrong; of course.

[color=red]1) She found happiness in her later years.
I don’t believe that you cannot use later as an adjective, because it is an adverb. [color=blue]And it means: after, after the present, expected, or usual time.
examples:
She said she would speak to me later.
Why don’t you call back later on, when he’s sure to be here?
(from Cambridge Dictionary of American English)

So in my own opinion, your first sentence would be in this form:
She found her happiness last few years.

[color=red]2)She found happiness in her latter years.
[color=blue]Latter means the second of two people, things, or groups previously mentioned.
example:
He directed “The Wizard of Oz” and “Gone with the Wind,” receiving an Oscar for the latter.
[color=blue](from Cambridge Dictionary of American English)

Remember, to use latter you have to mention tow things first. I will leave the 2nd sentence for you to put it in a correct way.

See ya later. :wink:
Baraa

Hi Bara,

Thanks for your response but please pay attention to these 2 definitions of “later” and “latter” in “Oxford dictionary”.

Later: near the end of a period of time, life…
Latter: nearer to the end of a period of time than the beginning…

You see, it’s very difficult for me to distinguish clearly the meaning of these 2 words???

K

As for me both of the sentences are impeccable.

Besides of the meaning - the second of two people, things - Latter has an other meaning: The second part.

In her latter years means - In the second part (stage) of her life.

Hi Khanh

I’d say both of your sentences mean the same thing. The main difference is that “later” would be the more typical choice of words in your sentence.

Amy

Thanks