Last but not least

Some people say [color=red]last but not least can be used to express the meaning of in the end, while others say it’s a wrong expression.

Can natived speaker tell me which saying it’s true?

Thank you!

last, but not least = the final point, but this should not be seen to imply that it is the least important point.

I would like to thank, Tom… Jenny and… last, but not least… Pete, for all their hard work. (Pete isn’t less important than the others even though he was mentioned last.)
Cutting the train service will have an effect on journey times, costs and, last, but not least jobs. (The effect it will have on jobs isn’t any less important than the effect it will have on journey times and costs.)

Hi,
Thank you.

Hi B,

You wrote: [size=200]last[color=red], but not least…[/size]

Isn’t the comma necessary?

dictionaries.cambridge.org/defin … 1+0&dict=I
last but not least
something that you say before introducing the last person or thing on a list, meaning that they are equally important

• This is Jeremy, this is Kath, and, last but not least, this is Artie.
  • Right, I’ve got my money, my sunglasses and, last but not least, my lipstick.

I consider it to be optional. The purpose of punctuation is to indicate the natural pauses and nuances of speech , so it depends on how much of a pause you want to leave.

Hi,

I’m not sure if there is a comma here.

:slight_smile:

Some people say it’s right, some disagree with it, which confused me a lot.

:slight_smile:

As I said, Sabrinayaa,

[color=green][size=200]Beeesneees,[/size]