Lan is the best student in your school, isn’t she

1. Lan is the best student in your school, isn’t she?
    => they asked If Lan was the best student in my school.
2 Likes

Yes, you converted the sentence correctly into indirect speech. Please note that ‘if’ should not be capitalized though.

2 Likes

many thanks for your help

1 Like

In spoken English, this depends on the inflection of “isn’t she?”. Depending on the inflection, it could be asking IF she is the best student, or it could be making a statement that she IS the best student and asking rhetorically if you agree.

As a question IF she is the best student, the pitch would rise. As a rhetorical question asking if you agree, the word “isn’t” would be strongly stressed, with the word “she” falling off.

To make it more confusing, in parts of the north western US and south western Canada, it sounds like they are always asking a question even when they are making a statement. They might say “My favorite color is green.”, but the rise in pitch on green makes it sound like a question.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge here! I would like to know if there are any exceptions in indirect speech or in rhetorical statements?
I would also like to know if you use any other learning resources? I would be interested to see them! I want to immediately share with you my good resource. It’s called samplius.com/free-essay-examples/fences/ and here I read and research analyzes of many works and topics. Earlier here I was looking for help in writing various essays on topics that were very difficult for me.
Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Lan is the best student in your school, isn’t she? (The question mark is essential)
Here the issue is related to the question tag. A question tag does not expect the listener to confirm the statement literally. Usually, the speaker takes it for granted.

However, in my view, if the statement is required to be turned into reported speech, it may be in any one of the following forms with due regard to the negative tag isn’t she?:

I was asked (They asked me) whether Lan wasn’t the best student in my school.
They asked if Lan wasn’t the best student in their school.
The speaker wanted to know whether Lan wasn’t the best student in her/his school.

2 Likes