Jena Graduates, January 2011

Hi everybody,

We are looking for an English language trainer for the following job:

period: Monday, January 3 through to January 14, 2011
time: from 8 am to 4 pm, (8 units 45 minutes each), Monday through Friday
target group: graduates of Jena university
purpose: to prepare them for their first jobs

The group consists of about 10 university graduates with various backgrounds such as sociology, linguistics, biology, IT, history, pschycology. They want gain more self-confidence in giving presentations, conducting job interviews and using English in the workplace.

Please make sure you also read the reports and ideas of the previous Jena University Graduates course.

If you are interested, please contact us here on the forum.

Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Company executive is introducing course participants to their new real estate training program[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I am very interested in this job and I am also available for the above mentioned period.

Many thanks,

Georgeta

hi,

I’m also very interested and I’m also available during this period. And I like working with young people, and have lodging near Jena, which would be an advantage on my view.

Hi Torsten,

thanks for your invitation. I am also available for this period. I have been working with similar groups of university graduates, particularly in Leipzig/Halle and Merseburg/Zeitz/Gera etc. in addition to other courses given in West-Germany. To my mind it is quite interesting and rewarding to teach or guide a team of goal-oriented professionals. Thanks for the helpful handouts too. I had a look at the reports that I read with pleasure.

Regards and have a nice week!

Roberto

Dear Georgeta, Kayan and Roberto, thank you very much for responding so quickly. We are now in the process of creating the plans for the two weeks. Please use the materials I have shared with you and I will get back to you regarding the schedule.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Supermarket employee is informing customers on the latest food specials[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten,

Thanks a lot for the handouts and all the material you shared. I am studying them right now and I think they are absolutely great.

Best wishes,

Georgeta

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the invite! Could you send me the handouts please?

Best,

Jason

Torsten,

I am available to teach the graduates in Jena from the 4th of January through the 9th. I have classes in Leipzig that begin on the 10th.

I think I have a lot to offer these students and look forward to any opportunity.

Thanks,

Jon

Dear Jon, thank you very much for the interesting meeting. Please check your Gmail account for the handouts/materials/files. As for the TEFL Online course, here is the link again: TEFL Online course

More soon,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: You haven’t registered for the conference yet, have you?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Day 1/ 10,Jena, January 3rd, 2011

Hello Torsten and Jon!

The new group consists of 12 students, 6 women and 6 men. They are very cooperative and willing to improve their English skills. IBS changed the reporting policy and, this morning I received a copy of the Soll sheet and an IST sheet which needs to be filled out by hand at the end of each day.
Due to the fact that we couldn’t use the computers today, I needed to modify the initial plan.
Here is a brief summary of today’s activity:

• I introduced myself and the English Team.
  • Using the form for the ‘Getting to know each other’ activity, the students gathered information about each other and introduced their pair to the group
    -The NATO alphabet was used for spelling last names
  • We started a list with the students’ name and the reason they want to improve their English
  • Most of them are willing to relocate either to another city or another country in case a job opportunity occurs
  • I used a PP presentation (which I shared with you)in order to give them a clear picture of the course content and its objectives. (I had a hard time because the projector refused to cooperate and Herr Walter is on holiday, but in the end we managed).
    -I introduced the 30/ 30 Challenge after we did the reading activity ‘Why do I want to learn English?’
    -HW: write a diary entry and present your media library.
    -Assessment test ( again difficulties with the listening part).
    -Dictogloss activity ( Communication)
    -The CV writing and PP presentation preparation was postponed (tomorrow we have access to the computers)
    -Instead, we did the application process activity and discussed the importance of self-assessment.
  • The students familiarized themselves with the English reader( overview of verb tenses, list of irregular verbs)

More info tomorrow. Jon, please let me know when is the best time for you to have a short Skype meeting. Either tomorrow night or on Wednesday.

Many thanks,

Georgeta

[/list]

Georgeta,

I sent you an email about the Skype meeting. I am somewhat available tonight or most of the day tomorrow. Thanks and will talk with you later

Good evening Georgeta and Jon. Thank you very much for your update, Georgeta. It’s great to hear the group has a 50/50 female/male ratio and it’s an even number because this will help with with the pair and role play activities.

If possible, please also incorporate some basic phonetics exercises. These could include an introduction to the English sound system as well as some pronunciation training. Jon, you might want to use some of the techniques you applied with your music students.

I wish you both a successful week. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Should I leave a voice mail if Ms. Dawkins is not there?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Day 2/ 10, Jena, January 4th, 2011

Hi Torsten and Jon!

We reviewed the previous day activities.

After I explained the Pecha Kucha method, the students (in pairs) started working on their presentations. They had to include the following information:
name and location of the company
type of business/ company’s history
services / products
structure, number of employees, job openings (including the application procedure), position applied for

Job descriptions were printed out.
Using the peer evaluation sheets, the other pairs assessed each presentation.

The students familiarized themselves with the Europass CV and Language Passport. They were asked yesterday to bring their ‘Lebenslauf’ and we worked on transferring the information in the new form. Each student was coached individually. The Europass CVs were printed out and the students have a copy in their portfolio.

Cover letters (format). How the valediction depends on the salutation. Each student prepared a personalized cover letter and saved a copy in the portfolio. Some sent the new CV and the cover letter to companies they already wanted to apply to but they didn’t have the documents in English. It was good to see their motivation and seriousness.

Job interview (listening exercises, role-play). Professional profile. I introduced the ‘elevator pitch’ and we’ll continue from here tomorrow.

As Torsten suggested, I will insert more phonetics exercises.

Thanks Jon for the Skype call.

I wish you both a nice evening.

Georgeta

Day 3/ 10,Jena, January 5th, 2011

Hi Torsten and Jon!

We continued ‘The elevator pitch’ activity after one of the students summed-up yesterday’s activity. Both listening activities were very successful and the students did a good job on solving the tasks. Different approaches on how to craft an effective elevator pitch speech were compared and analyzed.

Individually, the students crafted their own elevator speech, then, in pairs, they listened and timed each other. We used the outcomes of this activity for a role-play (cold calling a company).

Business letters: after the warm-up, students received handouts and analyzed the features of a business letter, identified the mistakes in a letter written in a rush, and, in groups, they sent and received letters of complaint to each other.

Making decisions: role-play on adopting English as the corporate language.

Teamwork: group discussion, listening activity, story re-telling.

The German Labour market (read and analyzed) and used as a starting point for the next activity: looking at the statistics, in which part of Germany would you advise someone to start looking for a job?

First each student added his/her piece of advice on a sheet of paper, then it was read aloud and the list was enriched with DO’s and DON’Ts.

Past Tense and Present Perfect: overview and exercises in the English Reader.

I didn’t manage to do the Going the Extra Mile activity, but I will do it on Monday.

I look forward to reading Jon’s post tomorrow night and I wish him a successful and pleasant day in Jena.

Good night and a great Thursday to both of you.

Georgeta

Good morning Georgeta, I’ve just read your reports and they look great. Thank you very much for doing such an excellent job and I also look forward to Jon’s posts and to sharing my ideas with you next week.

Best regards
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Shouldn’t Mr. Cobb be here by now?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Good morning ,Torsten!

Thanks a lot for your appreciative feedback and I look so much forward to hearing the new ideas that you are willing to share with us.

I wish you a relaxing weekend.

Georgeta

Hi Jon,

Please post an update on Thursday and Friday so I know where exactly to start tomorrow from.

Many thanks,

Georgeta

Georgeta, Torsten,

Sorry for the delay in posting about Thurs. and Fri. They were both rather long days considering the train schedule, so I spent yesterday recovering.

Overall, I believe both days went very well. We covered all that we had scheduled to go over.

Here is a quick run down of activities we covered over the two days.

Thursday:
Started with an introduction of myself and my background. Quickly went around the room and had students tell me their names and a brief bio.

Moved onto a discussion of CVs vs Resume. Class participated in formulating ideas on what the similarities and differences were regarding structure, the content, the length and any potential variations a specific industry may need in a CV or Resume. Class was asked to take their Europass CV and turn it into a resume, which we will review on Tuesday.

The only handouts for both days that were prepared were examples of resumes. For activity 2 I showed handout on the projector. Had the students go around the room reading sections of the handouts. While one read the others had to listen and comprehend. After we were complete with the reading we discussed the questions in the class prep.

Activity 3: Went over the vocabulary list. The class participated in defining the vocabulary. Once we defined the vocabulary we had a class discussion on the benefits and shortcomings of each type of employment. We then had students tell which type of employment they are looking for and the reasons why.

Activity 4: Had students write an essay on work and family life. I gave a brief lecture on the challenges of this. We then had a class discussion focused on the questions in the class prep.

Activity 5: Life long learning. Had to project handout on the screen. We then went around the room having each student read a section while the others listened and comprehended. We worked on vocabulary issues as they came up, and also addressed questions after each individual read.

Activity 6: Prepositions. Used some of my material for definition of prepositions. We had a class discussion on prepositions and when to use which one. Compared with German and discussed how flexible English prepositions can be. Used the reader for a quick class exercise.

Activity 7: I gave verbal overview to an MBA program. Students were supposed to use this as listening and comprehension exercise. Questions were asked by students regarding specifics of an MBA program.

Friday:

Activity 1: Assigned students to groups to discuss and list characteristics of types of reports. After 20 min of group work we discussed the results as a class and refined what each type of report is and its basic structure and content.

Activity 2: We read (used the projector) a summary of both German and American business culture and etiquette. After reading a section we discussed the merits of the article’s view point and whether it was accurate or not. We then discussed in the class the questions posed in the class prep. Answered vocabulary and pronunciation questions as they came up.

Activity 3: Had a brief demonstration on abbreviations associated with specific jobs, with what the students may find in American classified ads, and also common abbreviations that might be seen in email or other written correspondence.

Activity 4: Had a mock negotiation. Had two groups of seller and two groups of buyers. They had 15 min to prep for the negotiation. Both sides were blind to the other side’s scenario. After prep they negotiated for 10 min, after which we took 10 minutes to reconsider strategy etc. All groups closed the deal. Seemed to be the highlight of the two days. After the negotiation we discussed negotiation style and some helpful hints. We applied this to the mock negotiation by comparing the lecture with what actually happened in the negotiations.

Activity 5: Worked on how to identify, structure and solve problems. Used the projector again for the presentation. After going over how this is done (during lecture we used an example of building a house as an example of a problem to solve) we ran through a case study on a scenario regarding McDonald’s on how to apply what was just learned. Students worked in small groups and then as a whole class.

Activity 6: Discussed popular jobs. This didn’t seem to go over well with the students. It was the last thing of the day, and they seemed tired and wanting to start their Fridays early. We did get some vocabulary in and also identified all the most popular jobs in the US, UK and Canada for 2011.

Overall, both days went very well. Students generally responded well to everything.

At the end of day one, I asked them for input on the first day and whether they thought it was useful, or not, and how I was presenting material. Generally there were no complaints. The one concern that several students had was that they had to take a very similar course in German and didn’t know why they had to learn business skills in both. They thought there was a little too much over lap. I glazed over the subject and continued on.

At the end of the second day we completed the weekly review of the class and Georgeta and my performance for IBS. Frau Goethe seemed to be very pleased with the results! From the marks that I saw, we had pretty consistent 1’s, 2’s and 3’s.

Hope this helps everyone. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try to get them answered before Monday.

Thanks all,

Jon

Hi Torsten and Jon!

Jon, thank you very much for the detailed update. I am sorry to hear that you had a hard time getting back to Leipzig. The weather was indeed terrible and spending some more hours travelling after an 8-hour course is really tiresome. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the two days in Jena and I am quite sure the students enjoyed the activities and they learnt many valuable things from you.

I faced the same problem: answering that WHY do we need to do this all over again once we learnt about these matters in German. Besides making them aware of the advantages of speaking a foreign language in general and English in particular, I explained to them that it should be a piece of cake to deal with notions already familiar to them in their mother tongue and just ‘transfer’ the information into English.

Maybe if IBS agrees, for the next courses, it could be an idea to suggest having a reversed order of the German and English course.

It is good you had the projector at hand and you solved the lack of handouts. I am also thinking how to cope with a possible technical issue tomorrow: one of the projectors simply refuses to work with my laptop. I also have a rather lengthy report to use for one of the activities and I think I will ‘borrow’ your method.

Tomorrow night I will post an update myself and let you know what happened during the day.

I wish you both a nice evening.

Regards,
Georgeta

Hi Georgeta and Jon, thank you both for doing such an excellent job, we’re definitely are on the right track. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I’ll have a meeting with i.b.s. management in which we’ll discuss the strategy and contents of the upcoming course commencing at the end of February.

I do think that an exchange of information regarding the other training modules will help us greatly in adjusting our program. At any rate we should continue providing a combination of both language as well as skill based activities. If our clients already knew how to apply for a job, how to write a resume or CV, how to negotiate properly, how to put themselves into an entrepreneur’s shoes, etc., they wouldn’t be in that course in the first place.

With the next group we need to make sure our learners understand the fact that doing these activities is like doing a sport: Only if you practice it on a regular basis will you be able to achieve the results you want. The target for them is to get hired as soon as possible.

More on that soon.
Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: In a kitchen[YSaerTTEW443543]