Jeans and a T. shirt

Hi,

Which one of the following sentences is correct?

1- She likes to wear jeans and T.shirt.
2- She likes to wear jeans and a T.shirt.

Thanks

Tom

Both are fine. T-shirt and tee shirt are the accepted spellings.

This is Cambridge’s sample sentence: He wore a T-shirt and jeans.

The second sentence is correct and means that she likes to wear jeans together with a T-shirt:

She likes to wear jeans and a T-shirt.

The first one would also be right if you write T-shirt in the plural form. This means that she doesn’t necessarily wear them together:

She likes to wear jeans and T-shirts.

Sorry-- I have to disagree, Conchita. ‘Jeans and T-shirt’ is an ensemble all too popular these days. I see nothing unnatural or ungrammatical about any of these alternatives:

She likes to wear jeans and a T-shirt.
She likes to wear jeans and T-shirt.
She likes to wear jeans and T-shirts

Dear Amy

Please give your opinion about the same.

Tom

Hi Tom

I don’t think there’s always a 100% answer for everything in English, Tom. But this is my personal opinion:

1. She likes to wear jeans and a T-shirt. --> most common way to describe a kind of outfit she likes to wear.

2. She likes to wear jeans and T-shirt. --> Same as (1), but more unusual. Without the word “a”, I’d probably be more likely to create a sentence such as this: She likes the jeans and T-shirt look.

3. She likes to wear jeans and T-shirts. --> I agree with Conchita, but I can also imagine this sentence might be used to mean the same as (1).

4. Now, just to add to the confusion :lol:, I’d like to point out that if the present continuous is used, and assuming that she only has one T-shirt on, I’d probably ONLY say “jeans and a T-shirt” — never (3)!
    She’s wearing jeans and a T-shirt.

:smiley: :wink: :smiley:
Amy

Hi,

I’d like to address the topic. Are we not getting our knickers in a twist about this? If I continue with the thread, I hope no-one will feel cut up about it or get the needle. I simply can’t button up about it. Isn’t it a case of describing or itemising? As: Dress code is shirt and tie - He is wearing a shirt and (a) tie.

Alan

:lol:
For the life of me, Alan, I can’t imagine you getting your knickers in a twist – literally, that is!

Wait a minute! I am visualising something now… oh, dear, where’s the off button?