It is more important to keep your old friends than it is to make new friends -- phrasal verb

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is more important to keep your old friends than it is to make new friends.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Friendship is the beautiful part of every one’s life. We share most of our time with our friends whether it is good or bad. We share almost everything with our true friends.
Keeping old friends is really important, however, some people believe that it is more important that making new friends. I totally disagree with them and believe that making new friends is also important because it is necessary to have friends around you whether they are old or new, you may find a true friend by making new friends, and I am kind of person who like to make new friends.

To begin with, more friends means more companions for me. You cannot have your old friends every time with you. If you are living in a different country or going to a different university, you need to make new friends. Otherwise, you would hate you life in the new environment. For example, one of my friends was very poor in making new friends. He could not trust people very easily. However, when he went to university, he had to leave his friends behind. At the begining, he spent few days without any friends and realized that he need to have new friends to have fun in his life. He started talking to people and made many new friends. He enjoyed their company and had great fun in university. Thus, you have to make friends when you move to a new place.

In addition, when you come in contact with new people, you learn about their perspectives and nature. As time passes, you find out more about them and you may start liking them as a person. This way, you can find a friend whom you can trust. For instance, when I moved to the United States, I made many friends in may work place. We often gether and met in social events and function. That’s how I came to know some people who were very kind and friendly. Now many of them are my good friend to whom I share my problems and they help me to find solutions to them. Thus, making new friends help you finding your true friend.

Last but not least, I like to mingle with people and enjoy new friends’ company. For example, when I was in the university, I had many new friends. I used to go with them to parties and when we were together, we used to discuss about political topics and hard topics of our subjects. This way, I learned a lot about many things from their knowledge and view points. It helped me to increase my knowledge base. Thus, making new friends help you many ways.

To sum it up, it is difficult for some people to trust new people and therefore they believe that it is more important to keep old friends. Nonetheless, I believe that making new friends is also necessary because I cannot live in a new place without having friends, I may find a friend whom I can trust, and I can learn many new things from them.

Thank you.

TOEFL listening discussions: What upsets the young man’s mother?

2 Likes

Hi Jatkin, I enjoyed reading your essay. You addressed the topic well and your introduction was very good. Your writing was clear apart from one or tow phrases. Your thesis and first topic sentence also could be improved. I liked your specific examples, they were very convincing, but you did have quite a few minor errors throughout, so I think I can only give this one a 4 out of 5.

1 Like

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hello! Your essay is so great and everything is organzied well. I like how one reason flows into another. You also provided clear examples. I also wrote my essay on the same topic. I’m preparing for my toefl writing. And if you don’t mind to look at my essay and just share what you think, I woud appreciate it. And if anyone would like to comment or give the grade , I would be very happy!
Unquestionable, friendship is one of the vitally important aspect of our lives. Lots of people can’t imagine their lives without support and constant communication. Without a doubt, it’s great when you have a plenty of friends in your life who will always talk to you about everything. Some people believe that it’s better to keep old friends rather than make new friends. In my honest opinion, it’s better to make new friends.

From the one hand, someone may suggest that young people who have too many friends indiscriminative and frivolous with respect to friends. It is commonly believed that people who have plenty of friends behave as two faced or mendacious people because they fraternize with everybody and can’t develop intimate relationships. On the other hand the skill of making friends is very valuable and beneficial to individual, as how with the help of this skill , people are able to broaden their vision , develop strong social skills, enhance team spirit. Clearly, when we communicate with variety of people with various backgrounds, interests and experiences, we acquire new knowledge and skills. For instance, when I started to learn in university, I met a lot of people and it helped me to become more sociable and successful in life.

Surprisingly, but I know lots of people who don’t attach great importance to have few best friends. Nowadays we live in a rapidly changing world and some of our friends will leave or betrays us. Without a doubt, our best friends could move to another country, get married and forget about old friends, lose interest or even end a friendship for no reason. All these possible reasons could emotionally destroy us and we will eventually lose faith in friendship. On that account, it is important to make many friends and not to make them the reason of living, because everyone could be disappointed.

What is more, if person is outgoing and has good social skills, it means that he could be adapted to any new environment , like a chameleon. In my view, the skill of making friends can help a person in many ways. For example, person can receive a job offer, feel comfortable in any place or travel. As for me , I don’t like traveling with a company of friends and during my trips I always make new friends, because I love meet new people from all over the world.
All in all, making friends is a great asset for every person. It is important to make new friends, because it improves, benefits and nurture our lives.

2 Likes

Friendship is the most beautiful part of everyone’s life. We share most of our time with our friends, whether it is good or bad. We share almost everything with our true friends.
Keeping old friends is really important, but some people believe that making new friends is more important. I totally disagree and believe that making new friends is also important, because it is important to have friends around you, whether they are old or new, you can make a true friend by making new friends, and I am a person who likes to make new friends.

First of all, more friends mean more companions for me. You can’t always have your old friends with you. When you live in another country or go to another university, you have to make new friends. Otherwise, you would hate your life in the new environment. For example, one of my friends was very bad at making new friends. He couldn’t trust people easily. However, when he went to university, he had to leave his friends behind. In the beginning, he spent a few days without friends and realized that he needed new friends to have fun in his life. He started talking to people and made many new friends. He enjoyed their company and had a lot of fun at the university. So you have to make friends when you move to a new place.

Also, when you come in contact with new people, you get to know their points of view and who they are. Over time, you learn more about them, and you may start to like them as a person. In this way, you can find a friend you can trust. For example, when I moved to the United States, I made many friends at work. We often got together and met at social events and functions. So I met some people who were very nice and friendly. Now many of them are my good friends to whom I share my problems and they help me find solutions to them. So when you make new friends, you also find your true friend.

Last but not least, I like to mingle and enjoy the company of new friends. For example, when I was in university, I had many new friends. I went to parties with them, and when we were together, we discussed political issues and difficult topics from our subjects. In this way, I learned a lot about many things through their knowledge and views. This helped me to expand my knowledge base. So making new friends is helpful in many ways.

To sum up, some people find it difficult to trust new people, so they believe that it is more important to keep old friends. However, I believe that making new friends is also necessary, because I cannot live in a new place without having friends.