It is more important for schoolchildren to learn about local history than world history. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Please give me some comments on my writing exercise. Thanks a lot
Topic: It is more important for schoolchildren to learn about local history than world history. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that providing students with historical knowledge about their own country or region is more essential than the world. I disagree with the view because I adamant that national and world history have their respective benefits.

On the one hand, local history should be taught in school’s curriculum owing to two main underlying reasons. Firstly, it is common knowledge that with the access to the history of their hometown, youngsters would feel a closeness to their ancestors, which would narrow the generation gap. For example, through the histories about Tran Dynasty in Viet Nam, students could find the similarities in lifestyles and customs of Vietnamese people in the past and at present. In addition, having thorough insights into what happened in the past at the localities could develop children’s patriotism. For instance, in Vietnamese education programs, students are taught about how their earlier generations fought and made supreme sacrifices to defend their country against outside intruders and reclaimed sovereignty. As a result, those young children would take pride in their origin and treasure liberty that they enjoy.

On the other hand, learning about world history is beneficial in some ways. Firstly, being equipped with other countries historical backgrounds would benefit young learners in their future careers. Obviously, students who accumulate knowledge of this particular field could find it easier to adjust themselves to the different working environment in foreign enterprises, especially those who highly value company culture like Japan. On the social level, given that there are some considerable differences in culture, history, and custom among most of the countries all over the world, having a grasp of the history each other would help these countries limit the misunderstandings and conflicts in trade and politics, which would strengthen and maintain good relationships among numerous countries worldwide.

In conclusion, while some people agree that local history is more necessary than world history. I believe that it is equally important for students to acquire knowledge of national and world history.

2 Likes

Some people believe that providing students with historical knowledge about their own country or region is more essential than about the world. I disagree with the view because I hold that national and world histories have their respective benefits.

On the one hand, local history should be taught in school’s curriculum owing to two main underlying reasons. Firstly, it is common knowledge that with access to the history of their homeland, youngsters would feel a closeness to their ancestors, which would narrow the generation gap. For example, through the histories about Tran Dynasty in Viet Nam, students could find the similarities in lifestyles and customs of Vietnamese people in the past and at present. In addition, thorough insights into the history of the localities could develop children’s patriotism. For instance, in Vietnamese education programs, students are taught about how their earlier generations fought and made supreme sacrifices to defend their country against outside intruders, and reclaimed sovereignty. As a result, those young children who know history would take pride in their patriotic contributions, and treasure and preserve the liberty that they enjoy now.

On the other hand, learning about world history is beneficial in some ways. Firstly, being aware of the historical backgrounds of other countries would benefit young learners in their future careers. Obviously, students who accumulate knowledge of this particular field could find it easier to adjust themselves to the different working environments in foreign enterprises, especially those who highly value company culture like Japan’s. On the social level, given that there are some considerable differences in culture, history and customs among most of the countries all over the world, having a grasp of the histories would help these countries each other not only to clear misunderstandings and limit conflicts in trade and politics, but also to strengthen and maintain good relationships between countries.

In conclusion, while some people agree that local history is more necessary than world history, I believe that it is equally important for students to acquire knowledge of national and world history.

(The essay is good)

3 Likes