It didn't sound like you

Hello

What do you say when you want to tell someone “I didn’t expect you to do such a work”

or someone does a work usually a bad one which is beyond your expectation,

Here are my suggestions , I’m not sure they are correct, though.

1- It didn’t sound like you.
2- It was rare of you.(I’m not sure this one makes sense)

Thank you.

If someone usually does things well, but this time does something badly, you can say “That’s not like you”.

“It didn’t sound like you” is correct English, and can be used if person X told you (in the past) that person Y did a certain thing, and now you are telling person Y that you didn’t think person Y would behave in that way.

“It was rare of you” is not a natural expression to me.

“a work” is not correct in the way you are using it.

Thank you Dozy for your help

What about “If someone usually does things well”?

Sorry, I don’t understand the question. What about it?

Dozy,
“I didn’t expect you to do such work.”
Is it OK?
In stead of “It was rare of you”, can I say: “I didn’t expect you to do like that.”?
If I am wrong, please teach us how a native will express?
Thanks.

“I didn’t expect you to do such work” is correct English, but it is not a very conversational sentence, and is not likely to be the first utterance that comes to anyone’s mind in this case (i.e. the case “someone usually does things well, but this time does something badly”).

“I didn’t expect you to do like that” is not quite right. You can say “I didn’t expect you to do that” or “I didn’t expect you to do it like that”. These express surprise at what someone did or the way they did it, and are more conversational than the above, but they do not specifically mean that something was done badly.

I mean what do you say If someone usually does things well? Do you say sentences like when someone usually does things badly? please clarify us.

I mean what do you say If someone usually does things well? Do you say sentences like when someone usually does things badly?
[/quote]

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Majid:

Mona: Shut up!

Tom: Why are you speaking like that? It is so unlike you!

Mona: You’re right. I mean: Would you please not speak?

Tom: Ah! Now that’s more like the Mona that I know and love!

James’ suggestion of “It is so unlike you!” and mine of “That’s not like you!” both answer your original question (as I understood it) of what to say when someone usually does things well, but one particular time does something badly. I’m afraid I still do not properly understand how (or if) your second question differs.

Thank you both James and Dozy for your helpful replies.

Dozy!

You answered something I meant.