Is there a preparation forum for the IELTS test?

Hello everyone,

I’ll take part in the IELTS test as soon as posible, so that I am looking for a IELTS forum.
But I don’t see any topic about it.

Can you give me some intructions?

Many thanks,
Tho.

1 Like

There isn’t a specific forum for it on here. What did you want to know?

Hi,

I want to know some things about IELTS, such as : the structure of IELTS test, some experience when taking the test.
For preparation, I need some practise about Writing, Listening and Speaking skill in IELTS.
I wonder when I use the lessons and exercises of the others test,whether I also take effect well for IELST test or not?
If you know any specific forum for IELTS, please share it.

Thanks

1 Like

There’s not many, but there are a couple of forums that only discuss IELTS and some that have sections on it. I don’t think I would be allowed to post links to them, but if you put ‘IELTS forum’ in a search engine, they come up at the top. Some don’t have many people posting on them so you’d need to check that first.

Same for help about the test, if you put ‘IELTS practice’ or similar into a search engine, there are quite a few good sites that come up. Most of them will give you an overview of the test and have practice exercises. The practice they have will be based on the test so they will be fine to help you (many are from real tests).

Reading and listening is ok to do online, but practicing speaking and writing is a bit more difficult as you need someone to advise you. You can try posting essays etc on those IELTS forums (or here) to see if someone can check them for you. Speaking though, you may have to get a tutor if you want feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for your advices.
I just have a bit confuse because there are many kinds of English test except IELTS.

Best regards,
Tho

What are the reasons you are taking it?

You take IELTS in order to study or work abroad (depending on what country - some request TOEFL such as USA). Immigration, a prospective employer, or the university you are applying to will tell you what score you need

If you are wishing to work abroad, you take the ‘general training’ part of the test, but if it is to study, you take the ‘academic’ part. Some parts of the test are the same for both.

For detailed information, you can go to IELTS official site. And now I’m going to give you some basic information.

As you know, an IELTS test is composed of 4 parts: Listening, Speaking, Writing and Reading. The IELTS exam takes 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete.

Your Overall Band Score is an average of the 4 Sub-test Band Scores, with fractional scores rounding up or down to the nearest x.0 or x.5 score (with x.25 and x.75 always rounding up.)

The Listening test is 30 minutes long and is four recorded monologues and conversations. The Listening test is the same for both Academic and General Training tests.

The Reading test is 60 minutes long and seems to be the hardest part. You should focus more on Scanning and Skimming skills which are addressed here: IELTS Reading

In the Speaking test, you have a conversation with a certified Examiner. It is interactive and as close to a real-life situation as a test can get. The test is 11 to 14 minutes long.

In the Writing test, for both academic and general modules, the test is 60 minutes long and has two writing tasks of 150 words and 250 words. The second one is more important with more marks. Samples for the first writing task can be found here

1 Like

well done .thanks a lot .

1 Like

I am planning to take the same exams.

Hi,

I’d recommend that you take a look at IELTS Profi website. There is plenty of materials to guide you for the IELTS test.

Thanks,
Artur

1 Like

Hi Artur, welcome to our forum. Please tell us a little more about yourself and your site. When did you launch it and why? What is your professional background? Many thanks, Torsten

1 Like

Hello Torsten,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I was an IELTS ex-student who achieved a high score in the IELTS test. I was lucky enough to know a few IELTS ex-examiners who helped me to understand the test better. I thought that with the help of IELTS ex-examiners, we can launch a website and help other IELTS students. In the [IELTS Profi’s]home page under The Story Behind IELTS Profi you can find more information about my experience with the IELTS test.

Let me tell you about my professional background, as you asked. I’ve been working in the software industry for several years. I have worked in startups as well as in large companies. I enjoy creating software and making people’s lives easier. However, I found that I have free time and thought that I could also help IELTS students to achieve their desired score.

Thanks,
Artur

1 Like

Artur, how do you explain the fact that the popularity and market share of the TOEFL test seems to have been in steady decline while the IELTS test has been gaining momentum? What do you think is the overall trend when it comes to evaluating somebody’s level of English? Do standardized tests have a future in the era of AI? Many thanks, Torsten

@Elida: What is your take on this? Should we focus on creating prep materials for the TOEIC, TOEFL or the IELTS test or should we adopt a different strategy altogether?

I actually created a facebook group called Free IELTS Information Group. The direct link is

You are welcome to join to connect with other students and to find a practice speaking partner. You can also share tips and materials with other IELTS test takers in your area.

Is anybody still wasting their time on preparing for the IELTS?

1 Like