Is the 'to' needed?

Daimyo magazine’s main objective has remained unchanged, which is to be a platform to learn the teachings of XYZ Buddhism, share our believers’ experiences, and to encourage their fellow believers in their faith and practice.

Is the ‘to’ needed?

Thanks

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s needed, but I think it’s better to leave it.

Many magazines already have an established objective. If that objective has been stated in the past, it might be a good idea to use the same wording as before. This is typically something decided by consensus and should not be changed without further consensus.

Also, you might want to double check your pronouns. The use of ‘our’ and ‘their’ is a little awkward. The ‘magazine’ and ‘platform’ are inanimate. ‘Our’ refers to the people, not the magazine. ‘Their’ refers to another pronoun, ‘our’. This all makes it kind of awkward.

As I understand it, it’s the believers’ experiences that encourage others.

2 Likes

Without going into the syntax and semantics of the sentence, let me say that the use of ‘to’ is optional but confirmatory of the infinitival verb.

2 Likes

I always look to parallel structures for clarity when making a list of things, and so I would use “to share” for your second item as well.
The way your sentence is written seems to say that there are three objectives, but your subject is singular. Is there some overarching objective that is supported by your three items?

2 Likes

Good idea to keep ‘to’ so that we are reminded that this infinitive also depends on ‘platform’.

2 Likes