Is "it" at the end of the text redundant?

Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis - a bacterial eye infection. Tobradex can be a good treatment option for it. However, conjunctivitis can also be caused by a virus, which Tobradex does not work against it.

Is the “it” at the end of the above text correctly used?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Actually, I wouldn’t know. But, I know that conjunctivitis is an eye infliction that can be extremely painful.

2 Likes

And, therefore I would like to add that you should check with a professional, in case you should be suffering from it.

2 Likes

Yes, the “it” simply refers back to conjunctivitis.

3 Likes

If it is, because I’m doubrful about it, may I, at least offer you a little improvement for readability?

Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis - a bacterial eye infection. Tobradex can be a good treatment option for it . However, conjunctivitis can also be caused by a virus, and Tobradex does not work against viral infections. or

Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis - a bacterial eye infection. Tobradex can be a good treatment option for it . However, conjunctivitis can also be caused by a virus, against which Tobradex doesn’t work.

I didn’t wish to answer this afternoon, because the past week a few titles of subjects have come from you that relate directly to me; there was one about queers and traditional Catholics being strongly against it and as it happens I’ve had conjunctivitis many times. Even as a child I had trouble with it. Believe me, it’s really painful. Coincidental, I’m sure. However, since I believe in the power of positive thinking, I won’t take notice any more. Sorry.

Good night.

2 Likes

You have highlighted the middle sentence (which, to me, is perfect) and seemingly meant the last sentence.

Yes, the last ‘it’ is redundant. It will be clear if we recast the sentence the following way.

• However, conjunctivitis can also be caused by a virus, against which Tobradex does not work.
2 Likes

Ah, yes. I was refering to the highlighted text.

2 Likes

Lawrence, I already…you know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Would you mind, if I took a few days off?

2 Likes

Have a great time!

2 Likes

Believe me, I will and when I come back, I hope I won’t look tawdry, because I’ve been invited by Audrey and she’s not the easiest creature of nature! :grinning:
It’s true, you know, I’ll tell you about it later on. - Mind you, she’s not my girlfriend.

1 Like