Is 'fast' an adjective or adverb in 'be fast'?

Some of my friends differed with me when the question of whether the word fast in Be fast is an adjective or an adverb came up for discussion.

I’d also like the British and American interpretations of the it.

2 Likes

It clearly is an adjective.

3 Likes

I would say adjective
Ex: my car is very fast.

3 Likes

It is a word that used to be an adjective, but is now used in everyday conversation and writing as both an adverb and adjective - “My son likes to drive fast.” - “When you talk so fast I can’t understand.” - “I get can get that done fast.” - For now, it is best to avoid using “fast” as an adverb in formal writing until the grammarians catch up with how it is actually used.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the question - yes, in “be fast”, fast is an adjective. To illustrate, “be slow” makes sense, but “be slowly” does not.

2 Likes

We had an interesting discussion with Bev about fast being an adverb or not here.

1 Like

In which case we may recast the question with BE QUICK.

1 Like

But ‘be quick’ is not a question.

You can well say - Be quick - in the sense of - Hurry up - but you wouldn’t say - Be fast - because you would have to relate that to an activity as - Can you walk a little faster or we’ll be late.

Incidentally there is another meaning of ‘fast’ as an adjective suggesting direct, in a relationship as in - I know we’ve only just met but I would love to ask you out to dinner. Another adjective in this sense is ‘forward’.

Alan

1 Like

I meant the whole thing, Torsten: Is ‘quick’ an adjective or adverb in ‘be quick’? (I have edited my reply slightly). Anyhow, thanks for being the first to say it is an ADJECTIVE.

Well, thank you, Alan and Luschen for confirming it (fast or quick) as an adjective in this context.
(Here, the question was not on usage, though)

I also hold the same view: It is an ADJECTIVE.

1 Like