Is 62 out of 120 an okay score, in TOEFL - IBT

Dear All.

Well my college says that they need an IELTS score of 6.0.
Is 62/120 inTOEFL- IBT equivalent score. Do i have to improve my scores.

Reading -4/30
Listening -21 /30
Speaking 22/30
Writing 15/30.

Tell me how to improve these grades.
Thanking you
Nathaniel

TOEFL listening lectures: Who are not included as members of the Underground Railroad?

1 Like

Hi leinahtan

A TOEFL-iBT score of 62 is probably the equivalent of a score of 5 or possibly 5.5 on IELTS.

Your TOEFL score indicates that your reading ability is extremely low. Do you really have so much trouble reading? Or did you freeze or get distracted during the reading part of the test?

1 Like

Hey Amy,
Thanks a lot and are you sure if this score is equivalent to 5 or 5.5 IELTS and do u think i need to redo TOEFL or do IELTS.

Thanks
Nathaniel

1 Like

Hi Leinahtan

No, I’m not 100% sure, but I think the estimate is probably pretty accurate.
I strongly recommend that you try to improve that reading score. Even if your total score is theoretically enough for admission, having such an extremely low score in one of the TOEFL sections is likely to cause you lots of trouble.

1 Like

Dear Amy,

Well i live in Dubai-and do you recommend paper based. Probably i could do better in the paper- based test, than i did in the IBT.
I guess i was time- cousious and hurried in the reading part. Or do you think i should do IELTS

Is the evaluation lenient in India, than else where.

Thanks
nathaniel.

1 Like

hi leinahtan

I am a new member to this community. I would like to help you regarding the upbringing of your scores.

Here is a website just for you.This is a website which gets updated regularly.So you can get relevent information and help.

www.free-ibt-practicetests.blogspot.com

1 Like

Dear,
I’ve also got 62 score in iBT TOEFL as:
Reading 15/30
Listening 6/30
Writing 22/30
Speaking 19/30

So can you guide me in which US Universities I can get admission without any ambiguity?
Or should I retry? I found some Universities accept but confusing should I get admission, If visa consular reject my case?

Can you assist me in this matter?
Nadeem

1 Like

Dear Nadeem.

Hey so , if u give me more detaisl like which course ur interested into and also the place where in USA u want to go to.

give me these details for the above mentioned and then i can send u link or so for the universiites in that region or so .

LEINAHTAN

1 Like

Dear LEINAHTAN,

Actually, I’m looking for a University which accept my 62 iBT score and where the less chance of visa rejection. My field of interest is IT as I’m a software Engineer in PHP. And interested states are. OHIO, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, West Verginia.
Please help me. Basically I need the course/ University where more chance of Visa acceptance.

Thanks in Advance,
Nadeem

1 Like

Hey Nadeem ,

So go to this link utexas.edu/world/univ/state/

utexas.edu/world/univ/state/ over here you can see which university you want to go and by the way what is PHP, as you mentioned you are a software engineer working in PHP.

So i hope it help and for the VISA, actually Nadeem i cant mention may thigns here but , i will write next time . it is not a problem for the VISA- there are ways to TACKLE it .

1 Like

Thanks for the info,

Dear you can use my personal email address to contact with me (nadeem.reyhman@gmail.com) please send your useful information in it.

PHP is a scripting language, which is using widely to develop dynamic websites like JSP or ASP.

Can I ask about you, what do you do? And your interest, have you ever been appear for F1 etc…?

Hope to hear from you soon, and detail on my email.

Bye,

1 Like

oh, 5.5 IELTS is equivalent to 550 PBT toefl-80 IBT. thus, your score is not enough.^&^. I just want to correct info.thanks

1 Like

Since your reading section is a bit low, I will give you some tips that may help you to increase your score:

Three Secrets to Dramatically Increase Your TOEFL iBT Reading Abilities

Reading, reading, and more reading is what you will do on the TOEFL iBT. For example, you will take a 60-90 minute reading section with several reading passages approximately 750 words long. You will read several shorter campus-related and academic passages during the speaking section, and you will read an academic reading passage during the writing section.

To pass the TOEFL iBT, you will need to understand the main ideas and critical supporting points of these reading passages, for you will be expected to answers questions about them at a later time. Therefore, if you can answer most reading questions correctly, you will have a high TOEFL iBT score…

TOEFL iBT test-takers often have great difficulty with TOEFL iBT reading. In fact, many complain that they are not able to finish the assigned readings before the time limit. Why is this? A slow reading speed (0-180 words per minute) with an advanced English learner can be caused by a number of factors. Little or no regular extensive reading practice, not completing timed reading exercises, and limited academic vocabulary knowledge cause the learner to have poor concentration which result in a slow reading speed. Finally, a slow reading speed results in poor reading comprehension.

So what do you do? First of all, you find out what you reading speed is. Go to getesl.com/sr_week.htm . Then each week increase your reading speed gradually while maintaining 60-80% comprehension until you can read comfortably between 250-350 words per minute. In addition to doing timed readings (TOEFL-style reading passages are ideal for this), you need to read extensively (TOEFL-style readings do not accomplish this task). For extensive readings, you should read 350 + page novels and books that focus around a central theme. You should do 45 minutes of extensive reading each day.

Good luck!

1 Like

Dear Michael Buck Off.

Thank you for your valuable time to share this important information with me.

Once again thanking you.

Nathaniel

1 Like

hello…i attended TEOFL IBT exam last August and got 61 points. Then i attended TOEFL PBT last october and got 500 points. I must get 550 or 79 points. Which exam i should prefer? What do you think? thank for your suggestions? Bye…

1 Like

You can get higher TOEFL scores by doing many TOEFL practice tests. Here are some practice sites that I found for official TPO:
https://zhan.cn
https://toeflmocks.com

There are some others too.

1 Like