Introduction: My name is Stanislav...

Hello there, English fans and teachers :slight_smile:

My name is Stanislav. I am 17 years old and I live in Bulgaria. I study at a German language school, but English is the tongue I really like, probably because I’m much better at it :slight_smile:

This year I’m going to attend English courses for the proficiency level and I hope to get the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), or at least the Certificate of Advanced English (CAE).

I’m very happy I found this site and you’re likely to see me asking a lot of questions here. Having seen a lot of movies and read a lot of stuff on the Internet, I have built up a pretty accurate intuition about the English language and an extensive vocabulary but on some (not that rare) occasions I have doubts and here is the perfect place to ask for help :slight_smile:

Otherwise, my interests include: programming, music (I’m a self-educated and thus not very good keyboard player), mathematics, physics and astronomy. I play basketball, table tennis, pool and chess. I love science fiction series and sitcoms. I enjoy almost every kind of music, but mostly listen to older stuff, pop and metal.

That’s pretty much all I have to say about myself. I hope no one got bored of reading the effusions above - laconism has never been my strength. :roll:

Hi Stanislav

Welcome to the forum. It’s nice to meet you and I for one enjoyed reading your post. :smiley:

Your English is excellent, so I guess your intuition doesn’t lead you astray very often. :wink: Your feel for English appears to be quite accurate in general. When did you start learning English?

What sort of programming do you do?

Amy

Hi Stanislav

Welcome!
I wish my English was like yours, in my 17. And even now :slight_smile:

Thank you both for the kind words!

I started learning English in school when I was 8. But if it hadn’t been for the additional practise I get when I work on the computer, my English would be far worse. Not until now did I decide to get a certificate though. Just to be sure, I am going to take courses in English outside school this year.

I am studying mainly application programming for Windows. I am very very far from being a professional but I have a good understanding of C/C++. I have made an unfinished Pacman clone (just for fun and practise and to see if I could). I have also occasionally had dealings with Java, Assembly, Visual Basic and Pascal and am thus familiar with their syntax but for me programming is really all about algorithmic thinking. This hobby of mine (I hope that in the future it won’t be just a hobby) is the main culprit that I read lots of English articles on the Internet. Just as with the keyboard playing, I study programming alone with the help of books and Google :roll:

P.S. I don’t mind and would actually appreciate it if you correct any mistakes I might have made here or make in future posts. :slight_smile:

Salaam, sls! :o

Nice to see you here!

in this web all what you need to improve your skills
good luck in your study

best wishes

Mba