Intensive vs. Extensive

The two words sound a bit the same but in intensive farming and extensive farming, they’re completely different. Could you tell me the difference? About agriculture, I don’t know much.

Copied from Wikipedia: Intensive farming or intensive agriculture is an agricultural production system characterized by the high inputs of capital, labour, or heavy usage of technologies such as pesticides and chemical fertilizers relative to land area.

Extensive farming (as opposed to intensive farming) is an agricultural production system that uses small inputs of labour, fertilizers, and capital, relative to the land area being farmed.

Extensive farming most commonly refers to sheep and cattle farming in areas with low agricultural productivity, but can also refer to large-scale growing of wheat, barley and other grain crops in areas like the Murray-Darling Basin.

You can read the rest on Wikipedia.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Getting directions to the library.[YSaerTTEW443543]

They also mean Thâm canh and Quảng canh in Vietnamese in order given. Thâm means with a large number, volume and Quảng means in a large area. At first I didn’t understand these words at all. They’re of agriculture which I’m not really knowledgeable about though Vietnam is a country of agriculture. Do you know much about agriculture?

Intensive - Properties that do not depend on the amount of the matter present.
Luster - How shiny a substance is.
Malleability - The ability of a substance to be beaten into thin sheets.
Ductility - The ability of a substance to be drawn into thin wires.
Conductivity - The ability of a substance to allow the flow of energy or electricity.
Hardness - How easily a substance can be scratched.

Extensive - Properties that do depend on the amount of matter present.
Mass - A measurement of the amount of matter in a object (grams).
Weight - A measurement of the gravitational force of attraction of the earth acting on an object.
Volume - A measurement of the amount of space a substance occupies.

Pruthiraj Nayak

Hi,

Well, that’s interesting but what has it got to do with this thread?

Alan