Integrated Essay: Torreya taxifoliat

Hi everyone! Can you please review the structure and coherence of my integrated essay? I’m publishing the integrated essay for the first time. If everything is okay with the format, I won’t publish integrated essays anymore

Thank you in advance!

Reading Passage:
In the 1950s Torreya Taxifolia, a type of evergreen tree once very common in the state of Florida started to die out. No one is sure exactly what caused the decline, but chances are good that if nothing is done, Torreya will soon become extinct. Experts are considering three ways to address the decline of Torreya.

The first option is to reestablish Torreya in the same location in which it thrived for thousands of years. Torreya used to be found in abundance in the northern part of Florida, which has a specific microclimate. A microclimate exists when weather conditions inside a relatively small area differs from the region of which that area is a part. Northern Florida’s microclimate is very favorable to Torreya’s growth. This microclimate is wetter and cooler than the surrounding region’s relatively dry, warm climate. been working plant Torreya seeds in the coolest, dampest areas of the microclimate.

The second option is to move Torreya to an entirely different location, far from its Florida microclimate. Torrey seeds and saplings have been successfully plated and growth in forests further north, where the temperature is significantly cooler. Some scientists believe that Torreya probably thrived in areas much further north in the distant past, so by relocating it now, in a process known as assisted migration, humans would simply be helping Torreya return to an environment that is more suited to its survival.

The third option is to preserve Torreya in research centers. Seeds and saplings can be moved from the wild and preserved in a closely monitored environment where it will be easier for scientists both to protect the species and conduct research on Torreya. This research can then be used to ensure the continued survival of the species.

Contrasting Points from the Listening:

The Essay:
Both Reading and Listening discuss possible ways of preventing the extinction of Torreya taxifolia tree.

First, according to the reading, scientists are trying to replant Torreya in areas where it had successfully been grown historically. In fact, the coolest and dampest areas of Nothern Floride are well-suited for the growth and proliferation of Torreya. However, the listening passage states that those areas are themselves affected by the global climate change, and becoming drier.

Second, the lecturer refutes the fact that an assisted migration of Torreya to further north would increase its chances for survival. In fact, in the past, when people decided to migrate Black Locust Tree, that initiative led to unpredictable outcomes. The trees have spread quickly and left no space for the survival of other plants and trees.

Third, the reading passage states that moving the trees to a preserved area would allow scientist to save trees and examine their habitat. On the other hand, isolating the trees from a wild environment would make them vulnerable to various diseases. Moreover, the research centers are not capable of providing such large areas for the growth of trees.

To sum up, this is how the listening passage causes doubts on points made in the reading passage.

4 Likes

Hi @Oybeka98! As with your first essay, it’s close to perfect! Just a couple of things.

First, according to the reading, scientists are trying to replant Torreya in areas where it had successfully been grown historically.

“Been grown” is incorrect, it should just be “grown.” The problem with “been grown” is that it’s passive, implying that someone grew it, most likely humans, when it had actually thrived all by itself.

Second, the lecturer refutes that fact that an assisted migration of Torreya to further north would increase its chances for survival.

This is not incorrect, I just have a suggestion: I’d rather say “refutes the argument,” because “fact” implies that it’s 100% correct. Again, it just sounds better to me, but I wouldn’t take any points away from you for using “fact” instead.

To sum up, this is how the listening passage causes doubts on points made in the reading passage.

Again, not incorrect, but I’d rather say “casts doubts.”

Please don’t take these “corrections” the wrong way. You’re advanced enough not to need actual corrections (because you’re not really making mistakes here), rather non-binding feedback about synonyms and the like.

Great job!

3 Likes

Hello Sumejja! You’re my hero in this forum :relaxed: :relaxed:! Thank you very much for your suggestions and effort. And yes your synonyms sound quite better. I will definitely use them!

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Haha, thank you, that’s a pretty great compliment! I’m glad I can help :smiley:

3 Likes