integrated essay - crime and the causes

The article discussed 3 causes of crime in our society. They are poverty, race and the size of population. Yet, the professor was strongly opposed to those.

First, the author claimed that poverty is one of the main causes leading to the higher number of crimes. However, the professor refuted it by pointing out that when the unemployment rate increased in the US, the number of crimes didn’t change much. On the contrary, this number had a tendency to increase when the economy seemed to go up.

Second, the professor casted a doubt on whether crime is related to race. Although the number of crime committed by the blacks is higher, according to him, the reason of this is because they have a higher percent of broken families. The color didn’t have anything relating to this.

Third, the article stated that the size of the population and the kinds of people who make it up also affect crime rate but the professor totally disproved this. He explained that the real reason affected the crime rate is again the number of broken families. Since society is built on many distinct families, the more broken families, the more children and young people tend to be violent. Children in broken families usually feel abandoned and lack of love from their parents which could result in bad personalities and committing crimes.

In short, according to the professor, poverty, race and size of population don’t affect the crime rate. The primary cause that could push up the crime rate is the number of broken families and the development of the economy.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hi Kitos,
I have a small question. We have 20 minutes for the integrated writing task, so how many words is the average for a good score?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon :slight_smile:
Have a nice day!
Giang.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university students (1)

The article discussed 3 causes of crime in our society. They are poverty, race and the size of population. Yet, the professor was strongly opposed to those.

First, the author claimed that poverty is one of the main causes leading to the higher number of crimes. However, the professor refuted it by pointing out that when the unemployment rate increased in the US, the number of crimes didn’t change much. On the contrary, this number had a tendency to increase when the economy seemed to go up.

Second, the professor cast a doubt on whether crime is related to race. Although the number of crime committed by the blacks is higher, according to him, the reason for this is because they have a higher percent of broken families. The color didn’t have anything relating to this.

Third, the article stated that the size of the population and the kinds of people who make it up also affect crime rate, but the professor totally disproved this. He explained that the real reason that affected the crime rate is again the number of broken families. Since society is built on many distinct families, the more broken families, the more children and young people tend to be violent. Children in broken families usually feel abandoned and lack of love from their parents, which could result in bad personalities and committing crimes.

In short, according to the professor, poverty, race and size of population don’t affect the crime rate. The primary cause that could push up the crime rate is the number of broken families and the development of the economy.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I would imagine 200 words is about the requirement.

Not too bad.

Kitos. 8/10

150-225

thanks Emma, thanks Kitos :slight_smile:

Second, the professor casted a doubt on whether crime is related to race. Although the number of crime committed by the blacks is higher, according to him, the reason of this is because they have a higher percent of broken families. The color didn’t have anything relating to this.

Third, the article stated that the size of the population and the kinds of people who make it up also affect crime rate, but the professor totally disproved this. He explained that the real reason affected the crime rate is again the number of broken families. Since society is built on many distinct families, the more broken families, the more children and young people tend to be violent. Children in broken families usually feel abandoned and lack of love from their parents, which could result in bad personalities and committing crimes.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hi Kitos,
could you explain for me what’s wrong with this essay? I don’t find a lot of mistakes here. Is it because of my content or the way I organize explain my ideas?
Looking forward to your reply.