Integrated essay: AIDS Drugs

Hello Kitosdad, this is my first integrated essay here, please help me evaluate it. Thank you very much.

TOPIC: AIDS Drugs

Both the reading and the lecture discuss the issue of drugs used to treat AIDS patients in poor countries. According to the reading, many AIDS Advocacy groups (AAGs) are taking actions to help ADIS patients in developing countries get access to these drugs. However, the lecture casts doubt on the reading by pointing out many flaws in AAGs’ view points.

According to AAGs’ points of view, AIDS medicines should be sold at much lower prices so that patients in poor countries can purchase them. However, the lecture refutes this point, arguing that like any other business, drug companies need profits to survive. Moreover, more profits mean more investments. If investments are reduced, no new drug will be available. That’s why drug companies can not cut their profits by lowering prices.

Another contradicting points between the reading and the lecture is about who should pay for the drugs. According the reading, the governments should pay because when drugs are purchased in large quantity, the cost is much lower. However, the lecture argues that like its citizens, the government of poor countries may not have enough money to pay for such large amount of drugs.

Lastly, AAGs contend that countries should try to make their own medicines, which will reduce the price of drugs as well as create job for people. One again, the lecture contradicts the reading. According to the lecture, illegal copies of drugs not only mean stealing but can also be dangerous. These copies can sicken or even kill the patients.

In conclusion, although both the lecture and the reading discuss the matter of AIDS medicines for poor people, they differ greatly on the three main points as I mentioned above.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social sciences class (2)

Hello Kitosdad, this is my first integrated essay here, please help me evaluate it. Thank you very much.

TOPIC: AIDS Drugs

Both the reading and the lecture discuss the issue of drugs used to treat AIDS patients in poor countries. According to the reading, many AIDS Advocacy groups (AAGs) are taking actions to help AIDS patients in developing countries get access to these drugs. However, the lecture casts doubt on the reading by pointing out many flaws in AAGs’ view points.

According to AAGs’ points of view, AIDS medicines should be sold at much lower prices so that patients in poorer countries could purchase them. However, the lecture refutes this point, arguing that like any other business, drug companies need profits to survive. Moreover, more profits mean more investments. If investments are reduced, no new drug will become available. That’s why drug companies (cannot) cut their profits by lowering prices.

Another contradicting points between the reading and the lecture is about who should pay for the drugs. According to the reading, the governments should pay because when drugs are purchased in large quantities, the cost is much lower. However, the lecture argues that like its citizens, the government of poor countries may not have enough money to pay for such large amounts of drugs.

Lastly, AAGs contend that countries should try to make their own medicines, which will reduce the price of drugs as well as create jobs for people. One again, the lecture contradicts the reading. According to the lecture, illegal copies of drugs not only mean stealing, but can also be dangerous. These copies can sicken or even kill the patients.

In conclusion, although both the lecture and the reading discuss the matter of AIDS medicines for poor people, they differ greatly on the three main points as I mentioned above.

An excellent summation Legume.

Kitos. 9/10