Information and details

Hello,

Could you please tell me the difference between Information and detail/details as I am confused with these words?

Regards,
Balaji.C

‘Detail’ was the easiest to find: “a single piece of information or fact about something” \Oxford\
But “if you obtain details about something, you obtain information about it” \thefreedictionary\ made me think again.

If I had to explain it in simple words, I would say ‘information’ is more appropriate when talking about something you see\hear for the first time. ‘Details’ is closer to ‘more information’.
“We’ve just received information that…[something happened]” (= it’s news), would sound good, but it can’t be: “We’ve just received details…”
Saying, “Give me some\more information\details on…” would mean it’s not totally strange to you.

Beeesneees,
1a. We received first information about the railway accident.
1b. We received first detail about the railway accident.
2a. Give me some\more information that you received of late on the railway accident .
2b. Give me some\more details that you received of late on the railway accident.
Please correct the above.
Thanks.

We received the first details about the railway accident.
In this context, ‘information’ doesn’t work with ‘the first’. This is okay, though:
We received information about the railway accident. / We received details regarding the railway accident.

Give me the latest information about the railway accident.
Give me the details about the railway accident.

Basically, the ‘details’ about something are the type of information that provides you with specifics and finer points of something.