Info about GRE required ... please help

I am just planning for a MS in computer science. But I don’t have enough info about GRE and MS :cry: . Can you people please help me with these info? :? My questions are:

1. How many years is the GRE score valid? Is it possible to clear the xam now and applying to the schools at a later time, may be after 1 or 2 years?

2. To get a full scholership for a MS in Computer Science in a school among top 50 or top 100, what GRE score should I aim? Is a subject GRE required?

3. I heard that the schools offer 3 kinds of course: MS or Ph.D. or MS+Ph.D. and the syllabus are set accordingly. Is it possible to decide for a Ph.D. after completion of my MS?

4. What is the chance of getting a job there ( on campus or off campus ) after completing the MS?

I know that this is a long list… but please share these information with me.

Hi debu_ju

1. GRE scores are usually valid for 5 years, but many schools don’t want tests older than 2 or 3 years. Generally speaking, 1 or 2 years old will not be a problem.

2. This is completely dependent on the school you apply to. Generally speaking, however, you will need very good GRE test scores as well as an excellent undergraduate record. Your grades should not only be good, but also consistently good.

Most graduate programs in your field probably recommend or require a GRE Subject Test in Computer Science. So, this would be something you should plan to do. If English is not your native language, you will probably also need a test such as TOEFL.

1. Yes, it’s possible to decide to pursue a PhD after completing an MS, however, you should look into the various PhD prerequisites while you are working on your MS to make sure that nothing that might be required for a PhD is omitted from your MS course work.

My answers are very general. Every graduate school sets its own requirements. However, if you want to get into a top school in the US, it goes without saying that you will need to do very well. You can get more specific information if you go directly to the websites of some of the graduate schools that interest you.

Thank you very much Amy for your help.
I do have consistent and very good academic record. If I do not appear for the subject GRE, what is the score should I aim? Is 1400 enough or a higher score is required?
What are the chances to get a job there after completing the MS?
What do you think?

Hi debu_ju

1400 is enough for many good schools, but may not be enough for the very best schools. Also, if you want a full scholarship, my guess is that your GRE scores will become even more important. So, even 1400 may not be enough.

I would say a full scholarship may be easier to get when you are a PhD candidate than when you are pursuing your master’s, so you should do everything you can to make sure your scores and grades are outstanding. If you have done any work in computer science prior to applying to a master’s program, make sure you get some very glowing letters of reference. And, again, if you are not a native speaker of English, make sure you have taken the TOEFL.

If you are not a US citizen, I imagine that a US university would naturally give preference to any US citizen who has scores similar to yours, and this would be especially true in the competition for a full scholarship. That means you would have to be much better than people applying from the US.

As far as I know, many schools do not offer any financial assistance to foreign students at all, so you would have to research and find other sources of financial aid (scholarships).

It might be a good strategy to plan to begin your master’s work at a school that is not in the top 100 and then try to transfer into a better school after you are here.

Take a look at this website. It may help answer some of your questions:
foreignborn.com/study_in_us/ … school.htm

As for finding a job after you have an MS, I’m sure it’s possible, but I’m not sure how difficult it might be to find a good one. And I’m not sure what sort of trouble you might have obtaining a visa which permits you to work here. Student visas only require that you are a student and can prove that you can afford the school. Getting a visa for full time employment is something completely different.