Inegrated writing: While the reading passage home schooling, the listening...

Hi Kitos,

Both the reading passage and the listening passage are about the home schooling. While the reading passage home schooling, the listening passage disagrees with home schooling.

The reading passage refers to the recent study which has showed that home schooled students’ scores are better than students at public or private schools in the standardized tests. However, the listening passage refers to the same study, and says this study dose not prove that home schooling is better than studying at public school, and goes in to say that factors always are the most important things which sometimes control the performance of the students. Moreover, the listening passage says that the achievement tests are always in Math and English. Therefore, students at public school might get higher score if these tests were based in science and history and so on. The listening passage adds that the only way to prove that home schooling is better is to randomly choose a group of students and to divide them, making half of them to study at home, and the other in school and after few years they can test them.

The reading passage states that home schooled students involve in five or more outside activities weekly. The listening passage implies that a few activities does not approve that they are social, because most of their time are spent with adults, and they do not mix with other children.

The reading passage refers to some parents who feel that schools are dangerous and teachers are overworked. Therefore, parents prefer home schooling. However, the listening passage thinks that public school is better than home schooling for students because they have wide variety of education and they meet their teachers everyday.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social studies class

Hi Kitos,

Both the reading passage and the listening passage are about the home schooling. While the reading passage…??? home schooling, the listening passage disagrees with home schooling.

The reading passage refers to the recent study which has SHOWN that home schooled students’ scores are better than students at public or private schools in the standardized tests. However, the listening passage refers to the same study, and says this study DOES not prove that home schooling is better than studying at public school, and goes ON to say that factors are always the most important things which sometimes control the performance of the students.

Moreover, the listening passage says that the achievement tests are always in Math and English. Therefore, students at public school might get higher scoreS if these tests were based ON science and history and so on. The listening passage adds that the only way to prove that home schooling is better is to randomly choose a group of students and to divide them, making half of them to study at home, and the other in school and after A few years they can test them.

The reading passage states that home schooled students ARE involveD in five or more outside activities weekly. //The listening passage implies that a few activities DO not approve that they are social, because most of their time IS spent with adults, and they do not mix with other children.//(I couldn’t understand this sentence.)

The reading passage refers to some parents who feel that schools are dangerous and teachers are overworked. Therefore, parents prefer home schooling. However, the listening passage thinks that public school is better than home schooling for students because they have wide variety of education and they meet their teachers everyday.

Good morning SG. That was very good.

Kitos. 8.5/10

Good morning Kitos, thanks for helping

what I meant in that sentence is (the listening passage implies that home schooled students are isolated and antisocial. Although there are a few activities which are done by them, that does not approve that they are social, because most of their time is spent with adults, and they do not deal with other children.)

By the way, Is it necessary to write at least 300 words in the independant writing?

Thank you

Yes. 300 words is the minimum. Good luck.

thanks Giovanini
I think 300 words are too much whatever : (
thanks again

I know quite well what you had intended to say SG … but you didn’t say it! Would you have been able to conjure up the remainder of that sentence, without faltering, if you had had to read your essay aloud?
That is the question.

You are totally right, if i had had to read it aloud, i would have been able to conjure up the reminder of the sentence. However, i always fight with the time to finish writing anything. therefore, i do not have time to revise anything and this is my problem. I’m afraid to have the same thing in the exam : (

Well, don’t be. Get CONFIDENT!