Indirect speech (5)

The same question as the above.

Direct: Tomorrow,a day later, one day later. (1)
Indirect:The day after, the following day, the next day, a day after, a following day, a next day. (2)

Thanks
Q

Hi,

The point is that expressions of time in direct speech are relative to now and expressions of time in indirect speech are relative to then. In indirect speech you have to describe these time expressions so that they have a connection to the past. I would think it a good idea to think along these lines first instead of sending endless questions, some of which you are also duplicating.

Alan

I agree with Alan.
For now, here is my opinion regarding your phrases:

(1a)
Direct: tomorrow

(2a)
Indirect: the following day, the next day [color=blue]OK

the day after [color=blue]maybe

a following day, a next day, a day after [color=red]NO

[color=blue]The following phrases don’t necessarily mean the same thing as tomorrow and I wouldn’t use them instead of tomorrow in direct speech! In other words, I would never (:!:slight_smile: say “I’ll see you a day later” instead of “I’ll see you tomorrow”.
(1b)
Direct: a day later, one day later

(2)
Indirect: a day later, one day later [color=blue](no change)

Dear teacher,

What is the difference btw:

a.I’ll see you tomorrow.
b.I’ll see you a day later.

Is there a case that both sentences have the same meaning?

2/ Do you think yesterday and a day ago are interchangeable?
Ex: I saw her yesterday.= I saw her a day ago.

Quoc

Hi,

I would like to ask you some questions. In many of your questions you want to know whether the alternatives you offer have the same validity as the usually acceptable words. Are you working through some exercises? Are you creating these questions out of a sense of curiosity? What is the motive behind these questions?

In the case of tomorrow and yesterday - both well established and readily understandable adverbs of time -why do you want to find substitutes?

Alan

Hi,

I’m finding the rule. That means when I meet any word such as tomorrow, a day later in direct speech, I can turn to indirect speech easily.

Quoc

Hi,

You haven’t really answered my questions. You say you are

but that is not the way in which your questions are framed. I would like to know where you get the alternative words to which I referred in my three questions. I am trying to discover where your questions come from. Again is it simply curiosity, an exercise you are doing? I don’t think your method of lists of questions is going to benefit you and any other of our subscribers. Most people explain the origin of their questions and describe the context. In that way it is possible to give a reasoned reply which will benefit you and other users.

Alan

Quoc,
How much reading and listening do you do in English? Both of these activities are important in language learning. It’s not wrong to learn grammar rules, but you cannot expect to learn a language simply by learning rules and lists. The English language is full of exceptions to the so-called “rules” and often the “rule” depends on the context (i.e. the whole sentence and/or the whole paragraph). In my opinion, it is much more effective to learn things in context.
By the way, do you have a grammar book?

Dear teachers,

My questions are from: Oxford guide to English grammar by John Eastwood, page 34.

In this book, the author listed what I have listed but I don’t know how to use them. I asked many people but I don’t understand. Even my teacher told me to learn them by heart.

So,I asked you again about yesterday. (same question).

Direct: Yesterday =a day ago =one day ago. (1)
Indirect: The day before = the previous day= a day before = a previous day =the day earlier = a day earlier. (2)

Thanks
Quoc