Independent Task: what learning mode do you prefer?

Dear all,

I tried to improve my writing skills based on the feedback I got recently on the forum. I would be grateful if you could help me in advancing my writing skills further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Here is my essay:

Some students like classes where teachers lecture (do all of the talking) in class. Other students prefer classes where the students do some of the talking. Which type of class do you prefer? Give specific reasons and details to support your choice.

While teaching students, professors have various approaches to delivering study material. Some prefer to lecture and put a Q&A session until the end of a class or semester, while others prefer actively engage students in a learning process on a regular basis. Likewise, while many students find it convenient just to listen to professors and postpone learning and preparing to exams until the end of a term, I hold that it is more beneficial to be involved in discussions and exploration of a subject continuously throughout a semester.

For one thing, an active learning process facilitates greater understanding and fosters better memorization in students. My personal experience proves this well. When I was a student of linguistics, our professor always challenged us by asking questions on the topics that we had covered so far and testing our background knowledge of different disciplines. This, in turn, motivated me to keep in mind all we learned throughout a semester in order to contribute to a group discussion. As a result, I got a solid foundation in the subject and became capable of recalling many concepts and theories from linguistics in the subsequent years of my study. What’s more, numerous studies in development and educational psychology suggest that learning should be interactive in order to get people fully integrated in their professional field. Based on that, I can say that it is important for students to play an active part in class.

In addition to that, active participation on part of students results in their better academic performance. First of all, students active involvement in learning helps professors spot knowledge gaps and adjust their curricular programs to their current needs. The value of students’ comprehension of a certain concept or idea could not be underestimated. For example, if learners cannot make their minds around a math equation or a concrete economic trend, the chances are they won’t be able to understand a subsequent line of reasoning. What is more, by knowing matters that are still unaddressed, professors can focus on them rather than teach the random material that might be of no significance to their students. Thus, by getting feedback from his or her students, professors can make learning process more efficient. In my view, this is beneficial for every student who is concerned with better academic performance.

Last but not least, lively and stimulating discussion guided by a professor establishes a vibrant environment that ignites interest and imagination in students and, therefore, makes learning process a fun experience. Nowadays this became an urgent issue, given that many people suffer from an attention deficit. Personally, I do see this in my immediate surroundings. With many distractions triggered by instant messengers or social networks, some of my classmates do not pay a proper attention to what is going on in class. Being occupied with status updates and their newsfeed, not only do they get behind their peers, but also bother others with requests that would not have popped up if they were ‘in class’. Given that, I prefer to study in an interactive environment that attracts students attention to a subject allows me to focus on my study.

In summary, there are many ways of how one can engage in studies. By actively participating in class, a person better understands and memorizes a subject, improves his / her academic performance, and studies without a struggle. These are reasons why I prefer classes that are run in an interactive mode over classes where teacher do all the talking. After all, learning is more about a dialogue rather than a bunch of abstract information.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor on the possibility of life on Mars

Wow Trololo, this is quite an improvement. You have so much information and great detailed examples in this one. Your writing is clear without really any confusing sentences. You have a few minor errors here and there and a couple of missing words, but your vocabulary is strong with good word choice. Overall, I think this woudl probably score a 4.5 out of 5.

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your precious feedback. I am so grateful to see you helping me!

I’ll work on timing my writing from now on :slight_smile: