Indeed/ how is it correctly used? Please help me

Hi @Arinker , @Anglophile, @Alan, @NearlyNapping

How is the word ‘indeed’ used in English. We have the same word in Dutch, but I’m not sure that is used the same in English.

• He’s indeed a decent man.
  • Decent woman, indeed, we’ll see!
  • I should speak to the congressman/ Yes, indeed you should.

I’ve been trying to find a satisfactory answer in ever dictionary I have, but so far only a few will do.
Could you get more examles and explain them to me please?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I would say it’s a confirmation or agreement. It means something like 'in truth or ‘certainly’. It confirms or agrees, but is a little more emphatic.

I think your second sentence would work better as a question.
Decent woman, indeed? We’ll see!
In this case it’s the opposite of a confirmation by stating it as a question of doubt. It could be said as a statement instead of a question, but it’s really questioning the truth of it.

Person A: He’s a decent man.
Person B: He is indeed a decent man.

This is more than a confirmation. It’s more like a strong agreement. Notice that it’s used in response to what the first person said (i.e. it confirms or agrees).

2 Likes

Let me make two small points.

This could also be “Decent woman? Indeed we’ll see!”.

Note that “indeed” is referring to “is”, so NN wrote it as “He is” rather than “He’s”.

Person B might respond several ways:
“He’s a decent man.” Just repetitive
“He is a decent man.” With some emphasis on “is”, this is a strong confirmation.
“He is, indeed, a decent man.” Stronger confirmation

2 Likes

Thank you for answer NN.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, Arinker. I have included another ‘Dynasty’ scene, the so-called elevator scene, and I have a question about it. At a certain moment Sable says to Alexis: 'Always wondered what happened to Roger Grimes. Who’d have thought he’d have come floating for a visit after twenty years?’
You see Roger Grimes comes floating up after twenty years in a lake and was Alexis’s lover. No bacteria or something else has affected his body, so he suddenly floats up, being completely intact. However the sentence in bold and Italic, makes sense to me, but what do you think of it? Yet, first, I would like you to enjoy the scene from the last season, which, in my opinion was the best.

Here’s the scene, have fun.

2 Likes

It’s so much fun hearing “cultured” people insult each other.
It reminds me of the saying “A gentleman never insults anyone - unintentionally.”

The video clip has the words “… floating up…”. With that it sounds fine to me, though an uncultured person like me would probably say “Who’d have thought he’d come floating up…”.

2 Likes

Hi Arinker, thank you for the reply and for the saying.

2 Likes

Hi, Arinker,

Would you do me one favour? Don’t call yourself an uncultured person. I remember you posting a message in which you mentioned ‘Vermeer’, you may recall this. Please do not humiliate yourself or don’t think of yourself as being worth less than the so-called intelligentsia, because I know a lot of billionaires, who are not even interested in art and culture; that’s why I distanced myself from them. A golden rule from my late grandmother: ‘Never overestimate people, but never ever underestimate them.’ I don’t know for sure whether you’re a man or a woman, but judging from your writing style, I think you’re a man. So, if you’re a man and you’re married, I would like to say that your wife is the luckiest woman in the world, ofcourse I may be wrong. But ever since you joined this forum, you’ve always been kind to me and very witty. I like your honesty, but as far as ‘you’re being uncultured’, I beg to disagree, because you’re not.

Kind regards,
Masme

2 Likes

How very kind.
I should have put “uncultured” in quotes as I was looking to contrast it with the previous “cultured”.

2 Likes