In twenty years there will be fewer cars in use than there are today

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
In twenty years there will be fewer cars in use than there are today.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Car is a common tool to us in our life. Some people use cars to earn money, and others drive cars to somewhere they want to go. Because of convenience and time saving, the number of cars has increased since the past. However, I agree that there will be fewer cars in use than there are today in twenty years due to developed public transportation system, the capacity of living space and environment problem.

The public transportation system have been constructed completely in twenty years. For example, The M.R.T. of Taiwan increases a lot of routes and stations in the cities, so many people prefer to take public transportation rather than driving car. In addition, the high speed rail system and airplane has shorten more time than we drive cars.

As the number of building and house is increasing more and more, our living space has become smaller. Some people consider that the number of parking spaces in the cities has decreased. Besides, the renting price of parking lot is too high to pay it. It’s difficult for people living in cities to buy the parking space.

Finally, there is a critical environment problem for our life. Increasing of carbon dioxide emission has caused global warming severely. If we want to keep a good environment for our descendants, we can choose to walk or ride bicycle rather to use cars. Therefore, I think that we have fewer cars in twenty years than we have today.

To sum up, the developed public transportation system, the capacity of living space and environment problem may influence our habits of using car. I agree that in twenty years there will be fewer cars in use than there are today.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a research professor and a student

Hi Hicklinhappy, I thought you did a pretty good job with this one. I liked your format and your reasons were relevant and convincing. Your body paragraphs were a bit short though, and could have shown more development. Your writing was clear, though you did have some errors here and there and a few phrases that were a bit vague. Overall, I would rate this one a 3.5 out of 5.

teacher Luschen, thank you for giving advice on my essay.
I have a question about the sentence “as the Increasing of carbon dioxide emission has caused global warming severely.”
After correcting this sentence, I should rewrite this sentence “as the Increasing of carbon dioxide emission has caused global warming.” or “as the Increasing of carbon dioxide emission gives rise to global warming.”
Which sentence will be correct?

Hi, there are some words in English, where the verb can also be a noun, like jail, comfort, and escape, along with many others, including increase: enchantedlearning.com/wordli … verb.shtml

When the verb can be a noun, we don’t use the gerund form, we just use the base verb form for the noun. So in your first sentence, it should be “increase”, not “increasing”:
as the increase of carbon dioxide emissions has caused severe global warming

Notice that “emission” is countable. The subject is the singular “increase”.

For your second sentence, you are using increase as a verb, so it should be:
“as the increasing carbon dioxide emissions give rise to global warming.”

Notice that here, the plural “emissions” is the subject, so we use “give”, not “gives”